As an experienced member of the Gannett Compensation Team, the Compensation Consultant is responsible for providing comprehensive consultative and analytical guidance to employees, management and HR in the idea generation, design, management and implementation of divisional and company-wide compensation programs and processes. This role requires in-depth knowledge and experience in providing effective guidance and solutions, both complex and routine in nature. This position is a respected partner with the business and HR. Role is based in McLean, VA and reports into the Director, Compensation.
- Designs, creates, administers, and maintains divisional or company-wide competitive, cost-effective, and internally equitable compensation programs to include but not limited to base pay administration, incentive plans, recognition plans, and long term incentive plans, ensuring base pay and incentive pay are aligned with business objectives and overall organizational goals and strategies.
- Serves as an experienced resource and trusted consultant to HR and management in the development of effective compensation strategies, processes and programs, whether for an individual, group, Division or Company-wide.
- Provides input and recommendations in setting the Company's compensation philosophy and practices that align with the Company's mission and objectives.
- Manages compensation related projects as assigned, including but not limited to: compensation structure reviews and updates; market pricing analysis; job classification analysis; merit planning; bonus planning; administration of long term incentives, typical in the form of stock; creation of new incentive plans; updating and evaluating existing incentive plans; integration activities related to mergers and acquisitions; and other projects as needed.
- Develops and delivers training programs, materials, resources and management tools to facilitate the implementation and practice of Gannett compensation programs.
- Implements and administers cyclical compensation review processes and influences managers to achieve compensation objectives.
- Assure internal equity and external competitiveness of the organization's compensation programs through strategic monitoring of business conditions, legal requirements and understanding of industry best practices.
- Identifies and responds to HR and business client compensation needs, projects and issues; enhances and/or designs programs to address them. Conducts job evaluations by analyzing job responsibilities, activities, duties, requirements and organizational structure and recommends internal job placement at the appropriate level, title and FLSA classification. Develops job descriptions and titles and ensures titling is in compliance with policy and directives.
- Reviews offers; develops compensation packages for internal and external hires.
- Contributes to the year-end compensation planning process. Included in annual company-wide compensation budget planning and analysis.
- Works closely with Finance and Accounting to ensure accurate accounting and accruals are maintained.
- Conducts ad-hoc compensation analyses utilizing existing tools, such as salary surveys, compensation databases, job evaluations, pay reviews, etc.
- Assists management as needed in day-to-day activities and/or special compensation or research projects.
- Assist in the creation of Board of Directors meeting materials and analysis, as needed. Assist in drafting SEC related materials, charts and analysis (i.e., proxy, Form 4s, 10k, quarterly reports, etc.)
- Develops, analyses, and prepares recurring HR metric reports and ad hoc requests. Prepares and presents statistical reports and incentive plan accruals to Finance on a cyclical basis. Creates models for management regarding potential compensation plan changes. Implements new strategies and processes as needed.
- Ensures compliance of all compensation programs with federal and state regulations; conducts periodic audits of salaries to identify any potential problems or non-compliance issues.
- Works with internal and external auditors as needed. May help in drafting SOX controls and responding to audit requests as needed.
- Subject matter expert who acts as a resource for colleagues with less expertise; may coach and direct the work of junior level staff
- Provides subject matter expertise and content for compensation related sections of the employee internal portal (intranet).
- Bachelor's degree in related field
- 5-8 Years of Compensation related experience, with a working knowledge of basic HR laws and acumen
- Advanced knowledge of laws, trends and developments in compensation, including relevant best practices
- Has developed conceptual and practical expertise
- Experience working for a large company and or a public company a plus
- Proficient in MS Office, strong experience with Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience with HRIS systems (reporting, maintenance, etc.); Ceridian experience a plus
- Experience with MarketPay or similar online market data resources
- Knowledge of basic HR laws and acumen
- WAW membership or CCP certification or course work a plus
- Ability to explain difficult issues and work to build consensus, with a customer service approach
- Ability to work autonomously
- Excellent project management skills
- Ability to make decisions and guide others in making decisions, supporting the Company's mission and compensation philosophy
- Results oriented
- Strong analytical skills; attention to detail required
- Ability to work with all levels and as a team member
- Ability to work on own initiative; self-starter
- Creative idea-driver and problem solver
- Strong organization skills, detail oriented and quick learner
Meet Some of USA TODAY NETWORK's Employees
Project Manager, People Division
Jade helps streamline operations while keeping tabs on company culture. Her role goes beyond transactional tasks and includes social engagement and Human Resources communication.
Back to top