Community News Editor
Minnesota, USA • Redwood Falls, MN 56283, USA Req #17825
Thursday, August 5, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Community News Editor
The Redwood Falls Gazette/redwoodfallsgazette.com , part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, looking for an editor who believes community comes first to lead our twice-weekly newspaper and website in beautiful Redwood Falls, Minnesota.
You'll lead by example to ensure news, business, features and sports stories that matter to the community are reported accurately and fairly for print and online platforms and social media. The ideal candidate has strong news judgment; solid leadership, writing and photo skills; and a willingness to be part of the heart of their community.
- Reports and edits news with a focus on serving and growing the audience in print and online.
- Writes accurate, powerful, enticing headlines.
- Collaborates with and directs other team members to produce best possible report.
- Ensures web and social media platforms are managed to serve the audience daily.
- Enforces the AP style guide and provide feedback.
- Works with remote design team to facilitate print production.
- Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company's goals.
- Bachelor's or master's degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field preferred or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 1 year or more of professional newsroom experience
- Command of media law and principles of ethical conduct.
- Must embrace peer-to-peer training, as a both a teacher and student.
- Experience with advanced storytelling techniques on multiple platforms.
- Experience editing and shaping watchdog and investigative journalism.
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills.
- Understanding use of metrics, social-media and SEO knowledge.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Strong grasp of journalism skills (reporting and editing) and advanced knowledge of writing, spelling, grammar, AP and local style.
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- News often requires employees to work extended hours, evenings, weekends and holidays, sometimes unexpectedly.
- Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer drug screen and background check.
1. Your resume - one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to six online samples of your work. Show us what you've written, produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top