Rochester, NY, USA Req #9478
Wednesday, October 9, 2019
The Democrat and Chronicle, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, delivers timely, relevant news and information of interest to our diverse target audiences in Greater Rochester. Special attention is paid to stories and videos that demonstrate the impact of events and trends on the lives and neighborhoods of people in our market. We value revelatory journalism, both near-term and longer-term, that serves as a catalyst for positive change in our communities. Taken together, such work grows our digital audience and the number of our digital subscribers and ensures the D&C is a relevant force in the community.
- Help people in under served communities share their knowledge.
- Build strong relationships to learn what information these community members need/want to know.
- Determine the best digital platforms and methods of presentation to inform under served communities.
- Deliver timely near-term content spotlighting personalities, traditions, neighborhoods, aspirations and tensions in core Rochester neighborhoods and inner suburban communities.
- Consistently make use of solutions journalism principles to produce outstanding enterprise work that leads to positive change within these communities.
- Builds new relationships with members of under served communities to foment trust and enable delivery of untold stories for Greater Rochester readers and for the under served communities themselves.
- Creates timely reporting and storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms.
- Facilitates the telling of stories by community members in innovative ways on mobile devices, including words, video, visuals and social media stories.
- Pays special attention to the issues and trending topics impacting diverse members of local neighborhoods.
- Collaborates with content team to provide all the appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics).
- Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Works with Senior Content Strategy Analyst and other editors to evaluate what's working and what's not, and develops plans to meet needs of under served audiences better.
Required Qualifications include:
- Bachelor's in Communications, Journalism or equivalent in experience and education, or college degree in a related field.
- Five years of reporting experience, which could include freelancing, internships and college publication work.
- Candidates must have experience with multi-platform storytelling, image and audio production and social media strategy.
- Social media skills and video production knowledge required.
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Exceptional core journalism skills (reporting, producing, editing).
- Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our customers' time and money.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Knows how to use time effectively in an always-on workday.
- Works collaboratively within a cross-functional environment.
- Must embrace peer-to-peer feedback and training.
- Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company's goals.
- Writing, spelling, grammar, AP and local style.
- No direct reports; this is a non-exempt position. Direct peers include other Reporter II and Reporter III staff members reporting on Greater Rochester.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1) Your resume - one to two pages.
2) A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3) Links to 3-5 online samples of your work. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled in a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.