City Hall Accountability & Economic Development Reporter
Salem, OR, USA Req #9957
Friday, January 3, 2020
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of nearly 140 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include the USA TODAY and more than 260 daily local newspaper brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, WordStream, and ThriveHive and U.K. media company Newsquest. There's never been a better time to join our talented team. Visit Gannett.com/Careers to learn more!
City Hall Accountability & Economic Development Reporter
The Statesman Journal/ statesmanjournal.com , part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, located in Salem, Oregon, is seeking an experienced reporter with a track record of breaking big stories, holding city leaders accountable while also covering business, growth and development news across the Mid-Willamette Valley.
Public records and data experience are preferred. Coverage expectations include investigative work, news analysis and exclusive enterprise stories.
This reporter is the Statesman Journal's lead city reporter focusing on council actions, budgets, elections and the city's various economic development groups. Homelessness issues are a large part of this beat, which also includes legalized marijuana coverage.
Public safety is primarily handled by a second reporter, but coordination and teamwork between these two reporters is essential.
We are a digital-first organization that puts an emphasis on posting online first. This journalist must have a talent and passion for digital storytelling that leads to increased digital subscriptions and digital audience growth.
Salem is Oregon's state capital. The Statesman Journal covers Marion and Polk counties in the Mid-Willamette Valley, home to hundreds of vineyards and wineries and craft breweries. The Statesman Journal is one hour from Portland, 90 minutes from the Oregon Coast, and amazing outdoor experiences are even closer.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics. Works toward becoming the community's leading voice in area of expertise.
- Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Works with content strategist and audience analyst to evaluate what's working and what's not and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Performs other duties as necessary.
- Explores and reports on the widest range of news and trends, connecting with our audience's passion.
- Content strategies include print, branded digital platforms, traditional and emerging social media, events, apps and curation of contributed and expert content.
- Places a high priority on data analysis to identify trends that would otherwise go unreported.
- Strategizes and executes distribution and optimization plans for all content.
- Demonstrates clear concise writing skills with strong nut graphs and "why this is important to me" content.
- Requires outstanding research skills and extensive contacts that can break news.
- Requires the ability to create trust within their niche community. The primary channel will be our digital products first, but the content will also make its way into printed publications.
- Identifies, cultivates and curates contributed, authoritative content and reporting that expands the footprint of the beat.
- Bachelor's or master's in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 1-2 years' reporting/newsroom experience.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- Must be willing to travel on short notice, to cover breaking news events.
- Work weekends and nights as needed by the news cycle.
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and drug screen (for driving roles only).
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume - one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work or online portfolio. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Here's what we have to offer:
We offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount program and domestic partner benefits. Our 401(k) is topnotch and the contributions you make, up to the first 5% are eligible for a 100% Company match!
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Meet Some of USA TODAY NETWORK's Employees
Steven D.Account Executive
Steven serves as a point person of contact with businesses in local markets. He works with partner organizations to determine how USA TODAY can help them be successful.
Back to top