California, USA • Visalia, CA, USA Req #18874
Tuesday, October 12, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
City & Country Government Reporter
The Visalia Times-Delta / visaliatimesdelta.com part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is searching for a digital-savvy reporter to cover city and county government in a county bursting with interesting stories.
This beat focuses on government, general assignment and daily stories with responsibility for real-time digital reporting that is competitive and insightful. In addition, coverage will include broader trend stories on government and its effects on the community.
This is a great job for a high-energy individual with a nose for news who can generate accurate, clean copy and provide insightful stories for digital audiences.
Visalia is in the middle of the state and is known as the Gateway to the Sequoias. The city of 136,000-plus people has a vibrant downtown and is centrally located between Fresno and Bakersfield. The agriculture-rich Tulare County, where Visalia and Tulare sit, is located within two hours of the Central Coast and a short drive to Sequoia, Kings Canyon and Yosemite national parks.
The Visalia Times-Delta and its sister paper, Tulare Advance-Register, cover a wide variety of topics, beats and report from areas around Tulare County.
- Report quickly, clearly and accurately and deliver news, via stories, video, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or any other methods available to reach our California audience.
- Use metrics to inform story choices and shape beat strategies.
- Identify top news stories of the day, based on analytics and audience potential.
- Cultivate a beat, knowing the ins/outs of how government works and its key players. Have a genuine interest in people and ability to build trust.
- Write breaking news stories, enterprise and trending stories, and long-form features.
- Write and/or produce multimedia content that appeals to key audience targets and maximizes user experience on digital and social platforms.
- Provide cogent analysis of trends and issues that affect the daily lives of readers.
- Work closely with graphic, photo and video teams to produce and optimize content.
- Host videos, Facebook Live appearances, and podcasts.
- Engage with readers through various social media platforms.
- Demonstrate strong news judgment informed by real-world experience.
- Bachelor's or master's in communications, journalism, digital media or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 2 years' reporting/newsroom experience preferred.
- Experience shooting photos and videos.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- A passion for news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Comfort in fluid, fast-breaking, stressful situations.
- A desire to grow and develop a key beat in our newsroom.
- Comfort using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories - not only to share information but also to listen for what the community is talking about.
- An understanding of journalistic ethics and sourcing rules.
- Passion for a fast-paced news environment and understanding of the digital-first mission.
- A willingness to collaborate with others.
- Valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen.
- Your resume - one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.