Changing Neighborhoods and Cultural Trends Reporter
- Rochester, NY
Rochester, NY, USA Req #9240
Wednesday, September 4, 2019
The Democrat and Chronicle, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK delivers timely, relevant news and information of interest to our diverse target audiences in Greater Rochester. Special attention is paid to stories and videos that demonstrate the impact of events and trends on the lives and neighborhoods of people in our market. We value revelatory journalism, both near-term and longer-term, that serves as a catalyst for positive change in our communities. Taken together, such work grows our digital audience and the number of our digital subscribers and ensures the D&C is a relevant force in the community.
- The Changing Neighborhoods and Cultural Trends Reporter works collaboratively with the community to build relationships, find accurate and trustworthy information and provide unique reporting and videography. This reporter's work relates the impact of decisions, activity and events on lives in local neighborhoods. Reporting focus is mainly in the city of Rochester but also in the adjacent towns that are becoming increasingly diverse.
- Our target audiences, many of them diverse, benefit from relevant and compelling text, video and multimedia journalism. This job ensures the D&C creates such information knowledgeably and regularly to serve these audiences.
- This reporter places a focus on the forces shaping and changing neighborhoods, including but not limited to gentrification; immigration; availability of food, jobs and affordable housing; crime; and cultural connections. Such reporting empowers local residents to navigate local life and sometimes to take needed action.
- This job generates the content the organization needs to build digital readership and subscriptions and to demonstrate community impact and leadership as the main local news source.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Creates timely reporting and storytelling each week that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms.
- Works toward becoming the community's leading voice on Greater Rochester's changing neighborhoods.
- Creates a deep base of contacts to maintain a flow of news, information and tips from diverse Rochester and near-suburb neighborhoods. Generates coverage ideas from these connections.
- Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media including Spanish-language channels, Facebook Live, forums, community leadership, etc.).
- Pays special attention to the issues and trending topics impacting diverse members of local neighborhoods. Displays cultural competency in navigating coverage.
- Collaborates with content team to provide all the appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos,
videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Works with Senior Content Strategy Analyst and other editors to evaluate what's working and what's not, and develops plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Bachelor's degree in Communications, Journalism or equivalent in experience and education, or college degree in related field.
- Two years of reporting experience, which could include freelancing, internships and college publication work.
- Social media skills and video production knowledge required.
- Full professional working proficiency or bilingual proficiency in both English and Spanish.
- Data reporting knowledge and experience helpful. Database skills/Microsoft Excel skills preferred. (Data training will be part of successful candidate's onboarding steps.)
- Exceptional core journalism skills (reporting, producing, editing
- (Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our customers' time and money.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Knows how to use time effectively in an always-on workday.
- Works collaboratively within a cross-functional environment.
- Must embrace peer-to-peer feedback and training.
- Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company's goals.
- Writing, spelling, grammar, AP and local style.
This reporter reports to the News of Now Editor. The reporter's peers include other reporters on the News of Now Team, including morning police reporter and morning trends reporter. This reporter will collaborate frequently with editors and reporters and photographers at the
D&C and within the USA TODAY Network.
HOW TO APPLY
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume - one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-5 online samples of your work. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled in a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top