Changing Community and Cultural Trends Reporter
- Ithaca, NY
Ithaca, NY, USA Req #11537
Wednesday, September 16, 2020
The Ithaca Journal (ithacajournal.com) delivers timely, relevant news and information of interest to our diverse target audiences in one of America's most robust college towns, home to Cornell University and Ithaca College. Its reporters collaborate with the USA TODAY New York State Team to tell larger, timely stories about the currents of change facing communities such as Ithaca and institutions of higher learning such as CU and IC. Special attention is paid to stories and videos that demonstrate the impact of events and trends on the lives and neighborhoods of the diverse people and groups in our market.
We value revelatory journalism, both near-term and longer-term, that serves as a catalyst for positive change in our communities. Taken together, such work grows our digital audience and the number of our digital subscribers and ensures the Journal is a relevant force in the community.
The Changing Community and Cultural Trends Reporter works collaboratively with community members on campuses and off to build trust and productive relationships, to find accurate and trustworthy information and to provide unique reporting and videography. This reporter's work relates the impact of decisions, activity, traditions and events on neighborhoods, macro- and micro-communities and the people who live, study and work in them. Reporting focus is mainly in the city of Ithaca and the two college campuses, and to a lesser extent in nearby towns that are becoming increasingly diverse.
Our target audiences benefit from relevant and compelling text, video and multimedia journalism.This job ensures the Journal creates such information knowledgeably and regularly to serve these audiences. This reporter places a focus on the forces shaping and changing neighborhoods, including but not limited to small businesses and restaurants, housing and real estate and cultural connections and fault lines.. Such reporting empowers local residents to navigate local life, to take needed action and to enjoy life in their city.
This job generates the content the organization needs to build digital readership and subscriptions and to demonstrate community impact and leadership as the main local news source.
- Creates timely reporting and storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms.
- Works toward becoming the community's leading voice on Ithaca's macro- and micro-communities and neighborhoods.
- Creates a deep base of contacts to maintain a flow of news, information and tips from diverse Ithaca and campus sources.
- Generates coverage ideas from these connections.
- Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, Facebook Live or Streamyard live video, forums, community leadership, etc.).
- Pays special attention to the issues and trending topics impacting diverse members of local neighborhoods and campus communities.
- Displays cultural competency in navigating coverage.
- Collaborates with content team to provide all the appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Partners with reporters at other New York state Gannett sites and with the USA TODAY Network New York State Team.
- Works with Senior Content Strategy Analyst and other editors to evaluate what's working and what's not and develops plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Bachelor's degree in Communications, Journalism or equivalent in experience and education, or
college degree in related field.
- Two years of reporting experience, which could include freelancing, internships and college
- Social media skills and video production knowledge required.
- Full professional working proficiency or bilingual proficiency in both English and Spanish.
- Data reporting knowledge and experience helpful.
- Database skills/Microsoft Excel skills preferred. (Data training will be part of successful candidate's onboarding steps.)
- Exceptional core journalism skills (reporting, producing, editing).
- Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our customers' time and money.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing
- Knows how to use time effectively in an always-on workday.
- Works collaboratively within a cross-functional environment.
- Must embrace peer-to-peer feedback and training.
- Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company's goals.
- Writing, spelling, grammar, AP and local style.
This reporter reports to the News of Now Editor in Rochester, N.Y.. The reporter's peers include other reporters
in Ithaca, in Rochester and in the Finger Lakes region and on the New York State Team.
This reporter will collaborate frequently with editors and reporters and photographers within the USA TODAY Network.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following:
A brief cover letter explaining your interest and fit for the position, your updated resume, and portfolio/clips/links to a few samples of your work.
It's important that these items be combined into a single document, preferably in PDF format. The application will only allow one document upload. Completing these steps will ensure that you receive the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top