Business Reporter - Real Estate - IndyStar
Indiana, USA ● Indianapolis, IN, USA Req #13455
Thursday, March 18, 2021
Business Reporter- Real Estate
The Indianapolis Star/IndyStar.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, has an immediate opening for a reporter to cover the Indianapolis, Central Indiana and statewide real estate markets.
This person will join a very strong and collegial group of reporters on the Enterprise team, which is responsible for business, government and health coverage.
Residential real estate and housing is a topic of significant interest in Indianapolis. Housing prices are among the lowest in the nation, creating an especially vibrant market.
Our ideal candidate will be able to cover this beat from various perspectives. We are looking for significant beat coverage that will result in smart, sophisticated trend coverage, enterprise and even occasional watchdog work. That coverage should be driven by the experiences of those most affected - home owners, home buyers and home sellers.
We also are looking for someone who understand the value of reaching those audiences through various storytelling formats. At times, we will want in-depth sophisticated issue coverage - again, driver by those affected - but contextualized by industry experts. In other cases, we might very well want more easily digestible consumer-focused coverage such as 5 Mistakes To Avoid When Selling a Home.
We expect a mix of daily news stories, weekend pieces longer-term enterprise. We also encourage this reporter to experiment with new ways to present information using new technologies and on new platforms.
This can include work with data visualization, video, standalone audio, or content specifically oriented to social media.
This reporter will work closely with two other business reporters who cover the economy/commercial development and workplace issues, as well as our local government and statehouse reporters on public policy issues that will affect home owners, buyers and sellers..
The Indianapolis Star is an award-winning newsroom that emphasizes accountability journalism, sophisticated trend/enterprise coverage and urgency. It is also a newsroom filled with outstanding journalists who are good to each - eager to help, work in teams and support one another.
As such, the idea candidate will also be a team player who has a desire to share knowledge and learn from others.
We look for journalists who possess specific traits: intellectual curiosity, a sense of justice/purpose, kindness, passion and compassion.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
- Works toward becoming the community's leading voice in area of expertise.
- Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Cultivate sources and keep a pulse on the real estate markets in Indianapolis, Central Indiana and statewide.
- Produce a mix of daily, enterprise and in-depth articles.
- Incorporate contemporary digital journalism tools in day-to-day reporting, including basic digital photo and video, social media and other web-based journalism tools.
- Learn and integrate new skills as they become relevant to our mission, in a cross-functional and highly collaborative newsroom.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Bachelor's or master's degree in communications, journalism, business, marketing or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least two years in journalism with experience covering business.
- Proficiency navigating business filings, court documents and public records.
- Reliably clear and compelling copy, whether with quick breaking news or in-depth investigations.
- A thirst for stories behind the veneer.
- Competence with digital journalism tools, such as social media, internet-based research and digital publishing platforms.
- Experience with data journalism techniques is a plus.
- Proficiency on social media platforms; including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Reddit.
- Experience shooting and editing photos and video on an iPhone.
- Strong communication skills, news judgement and headline-writing ability.
- Ability to multitask and excel under deadline pressure.
- Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently.
- Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills; familiarity with AP style.
- Fluency in Spanish is an advantage.
- This beat will sometimes include some evening or weekend work hours.
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check, motor vehicle record check & urinalysis drug screen (for driving roles only).
Interested and qualified candidates, please apply here and upload your materials combined into one single document with as much of the following as possible: your updated resume, a brief cover letter explaining your interest and fit for the position, and your portfolio/clips/links to a few samples of your work. **It's important that these items be combined into a single document attachment/upload (preferably in PDF format). The application will only allow one document upload. Completing these steps will ensure that you receive the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top