Breaking News & Watchdog Sr. Content Coach
- Ventura, CA
Ventura, CA, USA Req #10499
Thursday, March 12, 2020
Breaking News & Watchdog Sr. Content Coach
The Ventura County Star/ vcstar.com , part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, has an immediate opening for a full-time Breaking News & Watchdog Sr. Content Coach.
The Star is looking for an editor to lead a team of breaking news and public safety reporters. This editor will lead coverage of crime and public safety, plus the news of the day. The ideal candidate must be able to identify significant news and make coverage decisions quickly. Excellent communication skills are a must.
The Star is a digital-first news organization, and the ideal candidate will be able to use digital tools to help grow our online audience. We cover breaking news not only in our area but also help cover news across Southern California, so the breaking news editor must be able to collaborate well with colleagues in the newsroom and across the USA Today Network. Night and weekend work will be required. Spanish skills are a plus.
The editor will coach reporters to make strategic decisions about coverage and direct and champion journalism that informs and reflects the whole community. The editor works collaboratively on journalism initiatives and monitors digital audience metrics to ensure staff members are putting their efforts into stories and visuals that will be most relevant and useful for our readers. The editor collaborates with a remote digital production team and design center daily, plans content across products and platforms, and helps set the editorial tone. This editor plays a key role in the development and advancement of our journalists.
The Star is one of 10 USA TODAY Network newsrooms in California, stretching from the Coachella Valley to the border of Oregon. The editor will work closely with those peers across the state, coordinating joint projects, contributing to the "In California" newsletter and developing statewide strategies.
We are located on the Southern California coast, within easy driving distance to Los Angeles, Malibu, Santa Barbara and the Central Coast. We have beautiful beaches and mountains, with sunshine and mild temperatures most of the year. It's the perfect location for someone who loves the outdoors.
- Build audience for The Star's journalism by coaching reporters toward the highest-impact stories, swarming breaking news and leveraging social media.
- Understand analytics and use them to motivate and guide the team's work at every stage. This includes selecting stories, editing them for clarity and impact and setting overall coverage priorities.
- Convert occasional readers to loyalists and get loyalists to buy subscriptions to The Star to support our journalism.
- Develop each team member professionally and help identify challenges and opportunities for training and skill development.
- Organize teams to host public engagement opportunities that identify and build passionate communities of readers around The Star's journalism.
- Seek partners within the geographic coverage area as well as nationally to support ground-breaking journalism.
- Practice great customer service when helping readers and the general public.
- Recruit, retain and hold accountable a diverse, talented staff that reflects the community we serve.
- Work closely with partner organizations and with other USA TODAY NETWORK journalists in developing ambitious projects and setting strategic priorities across the state.
- Bachelor's or master's in communications, journalism, marketing or related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least two years of news management experience or equivalent.
- Spanish skills a plus.
- Proven proficiency in applying analytics to content strategy.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills.
- Exposure to deadline-driven environment.
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills.
- Social-media and SEO knowledge.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Strong grasp of journalism skills (reporting and editing) and advanced knowledge of writing, spelling, grammar, AP and local style.
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company's goals.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume - one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Here's what we have to offer:
We offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount program and domestic partner benefits. Our 401(k) is topnotch and the contributions you make, up to the first 5% are eligible for a 100% Company match!
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top