Breaking News Reporter
Bremerton, WA, USA ● Kitsap County, WA, USA ● Washington, USA Req #14569
Wednesday, March 17, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Breaking News Reporter
The Kitsap Sun/ kitsapsun.com part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a reporter to add a dynamic and aggressive breaking news skillset to cover our beautiful community on the shores of Washington's Puget Sound.
We're hiring what we call a "News Now" reporter, who can cover breaking news that will range from a high-profile arrest to how new legislation matters locally or an interesting restaurant opening that is catching the morning buzz on social media.
The reporter will be focused on stories that have immediate impact each day, in addition to following up on a variety of topics where we know there is community interest.
Our ideal candidate will enjoy using a mix of writing styles, from turning quick write-ups to longer features that crave detail and flourish and should be ready to engage a social media audience.
We're looking for someone who likes the fast pace that great daily journalism can allow and who wants to be part of a collaborative team that is deeply invested in listening to our readership and serving this community.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics. Works toward becoming the community's leading voice in area of expertise.
- Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Performs other duties as necessary.
- Explores and reports on the widest range of news and trends, connecting with our audience's passion.
- Bachelor's in communications, journalism or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum 1-2 years of reporting experience or strong internship experience.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Works weekends and nights as needed.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- Must be willing to travel on short notice to cover breaking news events.
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen (for driving roles only).
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume - one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top