Breaking News Reporter
Sioux Falls, SD, USA Req #9328
Monday, September 9, 2019
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of nearly 140 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include the USA TODAY and more than 260 daily local newspaper brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, WordStream, and ThriveHive and U.K. media company Newsquest. There's never been a better time to join our talented team. Visit Gannett.com/Careers to learn more!
The Argus Leader , a member of the USA TODAY Network, is looking for a breaking news reporter to cover important public safety issues in and around Sioux Falls, South Dakota. The ideal candidate believes that the best journalism starts at the grass roots, has passion for dogged pursuit of the truth and has developed skills for a digital -first approach to coverage.
What you will do:
- This reporter will respond to breaking news and report from the scene.
- This reporter will be a primary contributor to Argus911.
- Must be skilled at shooting photographs and video, knowledgeable about using social media tools and be able to work quickly and accurately from the scene of news events.
- Reporter will be assertive in seeking answers from law enforcement officials and will strive to explain news stories accurately.
- Must be able to work with families of crime and accident victims as well as those accused of criminal behavior.
- Must understand the courts and be able to track accused violators through the legal system. Should be questioning and willing to challenge authority in seeking answers.
- Story assignments will include press conferences, meetings and event coverage in addition to public safety reporting.
Here's what you need:
- A bachelor's degree in journalism or related field.
- 2 years of journalism experience is preferred, but not required.
- Must be a self-starter and a talented storyteller who will work in collaboration with an experienced team of watchdog reporters.
- Excellent grammar and writing skills along with the ability to multi-task and thrive in a deadline driven environment.
- Skilled in the use of digital reporting tools, including photo and video and will report on all platforms therefore experience in social media is a must.
- Valid driver's license, proof of insurance and dependable transportation.
• Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post offer drug screen and an acceptable motor vehicle record.
Here's what we have to offer:
-Comprehensive Health, Dental and Vision coverage
-401(K) Saving Plan
-Paid Time Off
-Paid Company Holidays
-Paid Time Off to Volunteer in the Community
-Employee Discount Program
When applying, please include a single document with as much of the following as possible:
a brief cover letter explaining your interest and fit for the position, your updated resume, and portfolio/clips/links to a few samples of your work. It's important that these items be assembled into a single document, preferably in PDF format. The application will only allow one document upload. Completing these steps will ensure that you receive the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top