Breaking News Reporter
Great Falls, MT, USA Req #7128
Thursday, June 6, 2019
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of more than 110 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include USA TODAY NETWORK with the iconic USA TODAY and more than 100 local media brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal and SweetIQ, and U.K. media company Newsquest. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com .
Breaking News Reporter
Great Falls Tribune/greatfallstribune.com, in Great Falls, Montana, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a high-energy, social-savvy full-time breaking news reporter to join its award-winning team.
We're looking for a candidate who knows how to ask great questions, dig for stories and move quickly. The successful candidate has a passion for news of the day and answering the following questions: What are people talking about? What does this news mean for our community? How can I make sure this story gets in front of the right audience?
Multiplatform fluency is a must: This position will extend beyond the written word into rapid video production, shooting photos and posting timely updates on site and various social media platforms.
Social media should serve as a primary source and outlet for your work -- be that questions in Facebook groups or on Twitter or through analytics programs such as CrowdTangle. Other sources include police and court records, press releases, scanner traffic, reader and staff news tips, etc.
The ideal candidate will have a degree in journalism or a similar field and one to two years of professional journalism experience. He or she will also embrace the digital focus of our publication and be able to work independently and on deadline.
Great Falls is in the center of Montana, located east of the Rocky Mountain Front and west of the Little Belts Mountains and Little Snowy Mountains, with the Missouri River flowing through the center of the city. Great Falls is in the heart of prime bird and big game hunting access, Blue Ribbon trout fishing, downhill skiing, hiking, canoeing and kayaking and other water-based recreation access.
Glacier National Park is a two-and-a-half-hour trip to the north and Yellowstone National Park is a three-hour drive to the south. The Bob Marshall Wilderness Complex is 60 miles west of Great Falls, offering unique opportunities for outdoor recreationists. Home to Malmstrom Air Force Base, Great Falls has a population of 65,000 and is the hub for northcentral Montana's agriculture-based rural communities for retail shopping and medical care.
- Report quickly, clearly and accurately and deliver news, via stories, video, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or any other methods available to reach our audience.
- Use metrics to inform story choices and shape beat strategies.
- Identifies top news stories of the day, based on analytics and audience potential.
- Cultivates a beat, knowing the ins/outs of the beat and its key players. Has a genuine interest in people and ability to build trust.
- Writes and/or produces multimedia content that appeals to key audience targets and maximizes user experience on digital and social platforms to reach readers where they spend their time and attention.
- Jump on breaking news. Research, write, report, photograph, video and/or voice a variety of stories.
- Engage on social media with sources and audience.
- Experiment with new ways of informing and engaging audiences on social platforms and alternate storyforms.
- Monitor real-time news and sniff out the most important and fascinating stories important to our audiences in addition to pursue enterprise/investigative work to uncover stories that no one else is reporting.
- Demonstrate fast news judgement on an ongoing basis.
- Bachelor's or master's in Communications, Journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 2 years' reporting/newsroom experience.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Comfortable in fluid, fast-breaking, stressful situations.
- A desire to grow and develop a key beat in our newsrooms.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- Able to work some nights, weekends and occasional holidays, as needed by the news cycle.
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume - one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Here's what we have to offer:
We offer a competitive salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount program and domestic partner benefits. Our 401(k) is topnotch and the contributions you make, up to the first 5% are eligible for a 100% Company match!
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Back to top