Breaking News Reporter
- Anderson, SC
Anderson, SC, USA Req #11638
Monday, September 14, 2020
Breaking News Reporter
The Anderson Independent-Mail /independentmail.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK is seeking a Breaking News and Community Reporter to cover stories as they develop via social media and mobile platforms. Along with breaking news, this reporter will develop quick-turn enterprise stories off the news covering public safety and crime news, as well as dig into the community of downtown Anderson to tell stories about the people and places that make our community unique.
Our breaking news reporters at three newspapers in the region not only write in-the-moment crime and safety stories, but also are expected to dig deep into public safety and policy issues and produce meaningful watchdog and investigation work.
The ideal candidate will be an aggressive journalist who is just as comfortable working outside the newsroom as inside it. We want someone who will break news in real time, and then keep readers updated as the story evolves. We put an emphasis on digital over print, and most of our stories develop online and feature visuals, including photos and video, as a key element in storytelling.
This is a reporter who has the compassion and empathy to navigate an interview with someone who is dealing with tragedy and tell their story in a compelling and emotional way, but also has the aggressiveness to hold public officials accountable.
Anderson is part of a regional urban area of roughly 1 million people that is 30 minutes away from Greenville, and halfway between Charlotte and Atlanta. We are 45 minutes from the Blue Ridge Mountains and three hours from the Atlantic Coast.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics. Works toward becoming the community's leading voice in area of expertise.
- Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Performs other duties as necessary.
- Bachelor's or master's degree in communications, journalism or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Previous reporting experience preferred; even better if you've covered breaking news or a police force beat.
- Proficiency on social media platforms; including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Reddit.
- Experience shooting and editing photos and video on an iPhone.
- Strong communication skills, news judgement and headline-writing ability.
- Ability to multitask and excel under intense deadline pressure.
- Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently.
- Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills; familiarity with AP style.
- An understanding of digital analytics and metrics and how they impact the ways we tell and write stories.
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer drug screen and background check.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume - one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top