Breaking News Journalist
Marion Star Media, a part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a
talented, energetic Breaking News Journalist!
The ideal candidate is entrepreneurial, amazingly social media savvy, and has the desire to learn and grow their career with an award winning organization. Are you a curious storyteller (in a good way), were
you always the first person to research and know the facts?
Along with breaking news, this reporter will report on police and court news and develop enterprise reporting off the news, write narrative stories and pursue larger projects alone and as part of a team. The
reporter should be comfortable with and eager to use social media to alert audiences and be adept with camera and video equipment.
In this role, you will:
- Research, write and report on compelling journalism that continuously grows a fan
base by informing and engaging readers.
- Acts as a public ambassador through community outreach and connects with readers through social media. Contributes to the community's greater good through impactful journalism
- Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues. Produces watchdog journalism that leads to change.
- Partners with the content coach, content strategists and audience analysts to shape
storytelling to meet audience needs and interests on every platform.
- Cover local news with urgency and accuracy with the goal of always being first to report important developing news on our digital platforms. This includes a heavy focus on features and enterprise coverage, columns and videos.
- Be expected to help with news coverage when needed, especially breaking news coverage.
Here's what you need:
- Bachelor's degree in journalism
- 1-2 years of experience working for a newspaper or magazine – dynamic internship experience will be considered
- Excellent communication and time management skills
- Ability to write accurately and detailed copy in AP style
- Must be able to work well on deadline
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Connect with us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Glassdoor, Indeed & The Muse to learn more about our dynamic company culture!
Meet Some of USA TODAY NETWORK's Employees
Project Manager, People Division
Jade helps streamline operations while keeping tabs on company culture. Her role goes beyond transactional tasks and includes social engagement and Human Resources communication.
Back to top