Breaking / Live News Reporter
- Fort Myers, FL
Fort Myers, FL, USA ● Naples, FL, USA Req #10998
Monday, June 29, 2020
Breaking / live news reporter, level 1: Jump on breaking news in paradise. A member of a six-person team covering Southwest Florida as part of the USA Today network means you are in the heat of battle, covering the daily oddities and hard-hitting news that make up this vibrant community that ranks high in happiness and sunshine. You'll also do deep dives for police, sheriff and fire and follow suspects through their court cases. A successful team member will cover breaking news with urgency across digital and traditional platforms, using social media and photos and video from scenes. Based in Southwest Florida, the ideal candidate should know how to write for digital and traditional audiences, work well with a team on projects and think quick on your feet. A Spanish speaker is preferred.
- Create storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
- This reporter will cultivate relationships with city, county and state law enforcement and fire officials,
- Monitor real-time news and sniff out the most important and fascinating stories important to our audiences and pursue enterprise/investigative work to uncover stories that no one else is reporting.
- Demonstrate fast news judgment on an ongoing basis.
- Work with editors on ongoing and day-of coverage, and with other reporters and interns on maintaining consistent news coverage of stories.
- Report quickly, clearly and accurately and deliver news, via stories, video, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or any other methods available to reach our audience.
- Writes and/or produces multimedia content that appeals to key audience targets
- Bachelor's in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Adept at taking photos and video and will file quickly across platforms: mobile, desktop and social media.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- A valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done. Put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Along with submitting your application, send all those materials to Penny Fisher at Penny.Fisher@naplesnews.com and Stacey Henson at email@example.com
Here's what we have to offer:
We offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount program and domestic partner benefits. Our 401(k) is topnotch and the contributions you make, up to the first 5% are eligible for a 100% Company match!
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top