Bioscience Multimedia Video Journalist
Phoenix, AZ, USA Req #7466
Tuesday, June 4, 2019
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of more than 110 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include USA TODAY NETWORK with the iconic USA TODAY and more than 100 local media brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal and SweetIQ, and U.K. media company Newsquest. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com .
Bioscience Multimedia Video Journalist
The Arizona Republic/ azcentral.com , part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a multimedia journalist to spearhead a long-term special project on bioscience and technology. This project will involve collaborating with our newsroom to create engaging, video-first content that seeks new audiences. The work will also lead to a collaboration with a virtual reality developer/artist to turn your reporting into a special VR-based project. To put it simply, you'll shoot video and immersive media packages that showcase what the future of journalism can be at the Republic.
Phoenix is a hub for new and fascinating bio-science and technology innovations. This position would allow us to dig deep into that growth. The stories would target those in the field, highlighting the work that is done, but would also serve a wider audience interested in the future of health, science and humanity.
Experience both on-camera and off is preferred, because you will sometimes identify, report, shoot, edit, voice and produce your own work. But you'll never be alone. You'll have the support of our Pulitzer Prize-winning newsroom behind you, a room full of reporters, photographers, producers and editors devoted to great work that serves the greater good.
The right candidate will be excited to take on the challenge of defining the future of interactive media, and ready to be a champion of that in our newsroom. You should love explaining complex topics to a wider audience, while gaining interest from those already in the know. While we've targeted biosciences and technology, exactly how this project will be reported will be up to you. We want you to have ideas and initiative to push this beat further.
The job involves close collaboration with a variety of other disciplines in our newsroom, so the ideal candidate will be in Phoenix or willing to relocate. The full-time position is grant-funded for two years, with the potential for employment beyond then.
Please consider applying if you fulfill most of our requests, but are open to learning, with our support, and growing in other areas.
- Report quickly, clearly and accurately and deliver news, via stories, video, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or any other methods available to reach our audience.
- Use metrics to inform story choices and shape beat strategies.
- Identifies top news stories of the day, based on analytics and audience potential.
- Cultivates a beat, knowing the ins/outs of the beat and its key players. Has a genuine interest in people and ability to build trust.
- Writes and/or produces multimedia content that appeals to key audience targets and maximizes user experience on digital and social platforms to reach readers where they spend their time and attention.
- Jump on breaking news. Research, write, report, photograph, video and/or voice a variety of stories.
- Engage on social media with sources and audience.
- Experiment with new ways of informing and engaging audiences on social platforms and alternate storyforms.
- Monitor real-time news and sniff out the most important and fascinating stories important to our audiences in addition to pursue enterprise/investigative work to uncover stories that no one else is reporting.
- Demonstrate fast news judgement on an ongoing basis.
- Bachelor's or master's in Communications, Journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 3 years' reporting, newsroom and video editing experience.
- Proficient with photo and video editing software.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Comfortable in fluid, fast-breaking, stressful situations.
- A desire to grow and develop a key beat in our newsrooms.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Able to work occasional late nights as needed by the news cycle.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume - one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 6-10 online samples of your video clips and other work. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Here's what we have to offer:
We offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount program and domestic partner benefits. Our 401(k) is topnotch and the contributions you make, up to the first 5% are eligible for a 100% Company match!
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Back to top