AZ Republic Newsroom Internship - Summer 2017 - AZ
Republic Media, a Gannett Co. Inc. company and part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is in search of talented college students looking for an enriching paid news internship. Come join Gannett Inc., a Fortune 500 global digital media company, for our Summer 2017 Intern Program. As part of the Gannett team, you will develop and apply skills and experiences to support our team. The purpose of the internship experience is to provide opportunities where college (undergrad and grad) students can develop, grow and become the next generation of talent for Gannett. This program offers mentoring, networking and real-world experience in a fun, entrepreneurial atmosphere. As part of our team, you will work on impactful digital news projects. Good communication, project management, and analytical skills are a must. Apply today!
- Research and pitch story ideas
- Assist with the logging, writing and editing of news videos for desktop, mobile and social media platforms
- Assist with special projects as needed
- Gathers information from sources at any locations and through any means commonly available for news stories, although not necessarily at the skills level of a spot-news reporter.
- Interviews subjects in person, over the telephone or via computer terminals, and in writing.
- Travels quickly to wherever the news occurs or is being disseminated.
- Researches written materials, graphic and photographic materials, as well as audio and video recordings.
- Quickly and accurately reports information, either verbally or electronically, for publication.
- Helps in the production of photographs and graphics that would be helpful in supporting stories.
- Participates in brainstorming sessions.
- High School Diploma/G.E.D. and two years of college in a journalism program
- Preferred Majors: Journalism or Communications
- Should have a background in digital video journalism, social media, as well as some writing and video editing experience
- Strong command of AP writing, spelling, grammar, and style
- Must have good news judgement, experience finding and writing news stories
- Well organized, detail oriented, adaptable and flexible
- Ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment
- Experience performing a wide variety of tasks under the pressure of deadlines
- Ability to communicate effectively across all levels of the organization
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills required
- Advanced proficiency in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Must have a valid Driver's license
- Must possess minimum state liability insurance and have access to a vehicle
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Connect with us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Glassdoor, Indeed & The Muse to learn more about our dynamic company culture!
Meet Some of USA TODAY NETWORK's Employees
Project Manager, People Division
Jade helps streamline operations while keeping tabs on company culture. Her role goes beyond transactional tasks and includes social engagement and Human Resources communication.
Back to top