Austin, TX, USA • Texas, USA Req #17106
Saturday, July 10, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Austin Culture Reporter
The Austin American-Statesman / statesman.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking an at-large Culture Reporter to join an award-winning team covering lifestyle and entertainment stories in one of the fast-growing regions in the country.
The right candidate will have a proven track record of coming up with story ideas and be open to collaboration. This writer will help shape coverage, which will include how growth and demographic changes are affecting existing communities.
We want stories about who's defining Austin and Central Texas for the next decade and beyond: trendsetters, artists, dining innovators, booze-makers, outdoor adventurers and the people whose stories have been untold for too long.
We're looking for a storyteller who has experience leveraging social media to meet and engage diverse communities but who also can walk alongside those communities to find the stories and build trust.
- Creates coverage that accurately informs, engages, and entertains specific audiences and platforms using metrics.
- Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Works toward becoming the community's leading voice in area of expertise.
- Serve as a public ambassador for our brand through connecting with the community via social media, on camera, in forums, community leadership, etc.
- Works with content strategist to evaluate what's working and what's not and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e., photos, videos, and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Bachelor's or master's in video, photography, communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least 5 years' experience in coming up with culture and lifestyle story ideas, with strong writing and reporting skills.
- Knows how to use time efficiently in a 24-hour newsroom.
- Works collaboratively within a cross-functional environment.
- Experience developing following around personal journalism through use of social media.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Works weekends and nights as needed.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- Ability to fluently speak Spanish is a plus.
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen (for driving roles only).
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume - one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.