Audience Editor, Washington/Politics
McLean, VA, USA ● Washington, DC, USA Req #14279
Wednesday, March 3, 2021
USA TODAY seeks an audience editor to work in a fast-paced, 24/7 news environment with our Washington/Politics team. The editor will be part of USA TODAY's Audience team, working primarily on USA TODAY's digital, mobile and social platforms with an eye specifically toward amplifying our politics content. The candidate must be a self-starter, demonstrate strong news judgment, have both prior digital news experience and experience with social media and building audiences. Experience with photoshop and building graphics and visualizations is also a plus.
S/he will specialize in finding a wide audience for USA TODAY's Washington/Politics stories, photos, videos, graphics and other content, and optimizing them for different social/digital platforms as well as create original content and audience-first experiences for social/mobile platforms. The editor may also work on mobile and desktop programming, contribute to newsletters and/or do additional content creation as news and needs warrant.
Candidates should demonstrate a strong understanding of audience metrics and engagement tactics. This role will include night and weekend work. USA TODAY recognizes and appreciates the benefits of diversity in the workplace. EOE.
• Bachelor's degree
• Experience working with social media for a daily news organization
• Aggressive mobile and desktop programming skills
• Excellent news judgment
• Top-notch writing and headline-writing skills
• Excellent communication skills
• Excellent copy editing skills
• Understanding of search engine optimization
• Prior reporting, writing experience not required, but preferred
• Prior experience with digital publishing and packaging
• Ability to edit and produce digital content packages
• An understanding of metrics for digital, social environments
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top