Assistant Sports Editor
- Columbus, OH
Columbus, OH, USA Req #12756
Friday, December 11, 2020
The Columbus Dispatch is looking for an assistant sports editor dedicated to working with talented journalists in a fast-paced, digitally focused environment while also providing an authoritative and thoughtful voice for our sports audience in the heart of Buckeye country.
Our coverage of the Buckeyes, Blue Jackets, Crew SC and area high schools and colleges is built around digital storytelling and mobile consumption. The assistant sports editor will work with the sports editor and regional Digital Optimization Team to focus on building the best digital platform for sports coverage in the country. This includes real-time reporting, smart analysis, video champions, deep storytelling and social engagement.
- Work with reporters to develop stories that resonate with readers and get beyond what happened on the field or court.
- Execute tactics on growing subscriptions through storytelling, topics and headlines.
- Promote our brand, content and personalities across social media; plan and execute live event coverage on social media; and coordinating initiatives that involve fan feedback, contests or other engagement efforts.
- Ensure posts are high-quality talkers and timed to meet people's needs and take advantage of multimedia such as polls, texts, slideshows and video.
- Create, track and communicate key social engagement metrics.
- Keep track of sports buzz and what's trending across social platforms.
- Create smart, thoughtful, engaging, sophisticated content in a variety of formats on Ohio and national sports to help grow audience.
- Provide leadership on developing audiences on social media and emerging social platforms.
- Display creativity in everything from developing fresh content to writing SEO-friendly headlines to sharing content socially to having an eye for images and video.
- Bachelor's or master's degree in communication, journalism, marketing or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 2- 5 years' experience as a sports journalism leader, with emphasis on digital content and multimedia platforms.
- Experience in high level decision-making with complex, impactful or sensitive news content.
- Advanced understanding of various news and information content management systems.
- A history of successful leadership, collaboration, innovation and goal achievement.
- Demonstrated change leader who collaborates and communicates effectively with diverse people and personalities.
- Demonstrated record of leading a coverage team, including remote writers.
- Proven history of guiding strong watchdog, enterprise and features work across multiple platforms.
- Strong social media skills.
- Understanding of best uses of live and recorded video and how to inculcate video skills throughout the team.
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively on deadline.
- Ability to write with accuracy and precision.
- Excellent communication and time-management skills.
- Approachability, personal charisma, comfortable with public speaking and a commitment to staff.
- Understanding of the changing sports media landscape and ability to adapt strategies that address continually changing market and consumer needs and desires.
- Strong competitive instincts and intellectual curiosity.
- Ability to effectively manage and coordinate in an environment of accountability.
- Track record in recruiting a successful sports journalism team.
- Command of media law and principles of ethical conduct.
How to Apply:
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume - one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top