Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA • Hyannis, NE, USA • Massachusetts, USA • New England, USA Req #18189
Tuesday, August 24, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com .
Are you a journalist who values community news? Do you want the opportunity to shape news coverage in a town that relies on you as its primary source of information? Do you want a chance to contribute to a larger state and regional team all while living in the beautiful surroundings of the Ozarks?
The Cape Cod Times and capecodtimes.com, a part of the USA TODAY NETWORK , is looking for a Reporter/Editor to join the team.
We are a digital-first news organization that covers life on Cape Cod and the Islands. The ideal candidate will spend half their time writing stories and the other half as an assistant news editor, working with other news reporters to shape coverage decisions. Planning will be second nature and is key to the success of this position and team.
The Cape Cod Times newsroom is a collaborative environment and team members support each other. Our goal is to focus on coverage high-quality, high-engagement journalism. We prize enterprise and investigative journalism that holds those in power accountable and helps to find solutions for the issues facing Cape Cod. We want our journalism to reflect the diversity and shine the light on marginalized people and their struggles.
Cape Cod is a place of beauty - from the ocean, ponds and lakes to green and wooded landscapes all of which offer many recreational opportunities. The Cape is home to a vibrant arts and entertainment scene and is a foodie extravaganza with numerous restaurants spanning the region.
- Editing experience in a digitally focused newsroom. Knowledge of AP Style.
- Know how to help reporters tell stories in real time and include alternate story forms and visual elements that drive the narrative.
- Understand how metrics and analytics can help us determine how to best reach our audience.
- Know how to turn readers into subscribers by helping reporters tell relevant stories that sing.
- Be a teacher, not just an editor. After all, everyone needs a coach.
- Be courageous about experimentation.
- Be a team player who likes to collaborate with their coworkers.
- Bachelor's or master's in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Three years of journalism experience.
- Leadership and editing experience preferred, but not required.
- Experience with creating news coverage plans.
- Demonstrated experience and expertise with social media and comfortable using these platforms to engage with the community.
- Understands metrics and how to use these to inform coverage decisions.
- Enjoys collaborating and working with teammates both locally and remote.
- This position may will include some weekends and evening work as news dictates.
• Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen (for driving roles only).
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume - one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce. As such, we will consider all qualified applicants for employment and do not discriminate in connection with employment decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee's race, color, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance (including height and weight), sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy status (including childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), education, genetic characteristics or information, political affiliation, military or veteran status or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state and local laws in the jurisdictions where Gannett employs employees. In addition, Gannett Co., Inc. will provide applicants who require a reasonable accommodation, as a result of an applicant's disability or religion, to complete this employment application and/or any other process in connection with an individuals' application for employment with Gannett Co., Inc. Applicants who require such accommodation should contact Gannett Co., Inc.'s Recruitment Department at Recruit@gannett.com.
Back to top