Assistant Corporate Controller
The Assistant Controller is responsible for leading all aspects of the day-to-day corporate and USA TODAY accounting operations and ensuring compliance with the Company's accounting policies and procedures and US GAAP. This is done through collaboration with corporate functions, business operations and third party auditors and advisors. This includes directing and facilitating various teams, with the full ownership and accountability for ensuring quality deliverables through a controlled and efficient process and a continual focus on process enhancement and maintaining adequate internal controls over accounting operations and reporting. The ideal candidate will have strong technical accounting skills, ability to manage multiple projects, the ability to communicate across all levels of the organization (including our external auditors and advisors) and the skill to juggle conflicting priorities in a very fast paced environment. The Assistant Controller will lead a team of approximately 25 to perform the corporate (including payroll) and USA TODAY accounting operations. The position is based in Tyson's Corner, VA and reports into the VP/Controller.
- Lead and manage the day-to-day corporate accounting operations, including payroll, ensuring compliance with the Company's accounting policies and procedures, US GAAP and Sox Compliance.
- Manage the timely and accurate closing of the monthly and quarterly corporate and USA Today financial statements. This includes journal entries, account reconciliations and variance analysis as well as preparing reports in support of 10Q and 10K disclosures.
- Lead and manage complex corporate accounting areas which include HR benefits including pensions, equity method investments, fixed assets, and print inventory
- Lead and manage the USA TODAY complex revenue recognition accounting.
- Assures adherence to U.S. GAAP. Also, supports implementation of new accounting standards in compliance with U.S. GAAP.
- Creates efficiencies in accounting processes by moving away from old, manual processes and implementing automation and eliminating redundancies.
- Participates in integrating new businesses from a financial perspective.
- Serve as a key member on enterprise-wide projects and system implementation efforts
- Work directly with the auditors in coordination of the audit process
- Manage, maintain and improve internal control processes.
- Work with staff on training, technical development and maintaining proper documentation
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting
- CPA required
- A minimum of 10 years accounting and audit experience. Big "4" experience is preferred.
- Strong technical accounting skills, including knowledge of US GAAP, SEC Rules & Regulations, and Sarbanes Oxley regulations
- Ability to build strong working relationships with operations and financial personnel
- Detail-oriented with demonstrated oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work with senior management and influence decision making
- Strong project management skills with the ability to plan, execute and deliver on projects in a timely manner in a dynamic environment
- Strong multi-tasking skills and ability to adapt to change
- Ability to attract, develop and retain a competent and committed team
- Proficiency in Microsoft Professional Office Applications, including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
Meet Some of USA TODAY NETWORK's Employees
Miranda’s main goal is creating unique, practical layouts that perfectly pair graphics and content to appeal to users. She considers readability and presentation of magazines paramount.
Back to top