Arts & Culture Columnist
Indianapolis, IN, USA Req #4182
Monday, December 17, 2018
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of more than 110 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include USA TODAY NETWORK with the iconic USA TODAY and more than 100 local media brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal and SweetIQ, and U.K. media company Newsquest. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com .
Arts & Culture Columnist
If you've ever looked at a painting and thought, without irony, "Why that seeks nothing than the intuitive revelation of universal truth," then this might not be the job for you. Instead, the IndyStar Arts & Culture Columnist covers the arts in an entertaining, relatable - and entrepreneurial - way that increases awareness of and participation in the local arts scene. This position is part of a two-year partnership with a nonprofit funder.
Though familiarity with the arts is required, you do not have to be an expert. More so, it's about the curiosity and drive to find the great "stories within the stories" and offer a nimble, original point of view on trends and developing news. The arts are a broad topic that includes visual and performing art, neighborhood and community development, and legislative, business and social issues.
In this position, you would:
• Research and produce columns that make an impact on the community, using a well-developed personal brand and distinctive voice. Hold arts organizations accountable for their missions of advancing the arts.
• Collaborate and connect with the community through multi-platform storytelling and outreach (video, social media, public appearances, community leadership, etc.)
• Work with newsroom content strategist and digital analysts to evaluate what's working and what's not, and develop ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
• Provide thoughtful analysis of complex issues and produces strong journalism with minimal supervision.
• Promote personal brand, the brand of colleagues and the institutional brand.
• Provide great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
• Perform other duties as necessary.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Back to top