Arizona Culture & Outdoors Reporter
- Phoenix, AZ
Phoenix, AZ, USA Req #11299
Wednesday, August 12, 2020
Arizona Culture & Outdoors Reporter
The Arizona Republic/ azcentral.com , part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a digital-first reporter who covers Arizona's recreation opportunities, contemporary Latinx and indigenous cultures, wildlife and offbeat happenings and offerings, key topics for our target audiences.
This reporter must closely monitor outdoor recreation, parks, zoos, things to do and events in the metro Phoenix area on social media; build connections in the community; and become familiar with digital tools like Dataminr and CrowdTangle to become the go-to source for news about outdoor travel and events in Arizona.
This reporter will track trends and issues at the local and national level, producing a combination of breaking news, cultural criticism, daily enterprise, longform, multi-sourced stories and multimedia projects in a fast-paced, competitive, 24/7 news cycle. The reporter will have a strong grasp on how to best use SEO, social media platforms, digital and production tools and public records.
Candidates who are bilingual in English and Spanish are preferred.
- Cultivate a beat focused on the outdoors, Southwest culture and history with a focus on Latinx and Native communities, attractions, hiking, parks, camping, wildlife, events, things to do and local personalities.
- Report quickly, clearly and accurately and deliver news, via stories, video, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or any other methods available to reach target audiences.
- Use metrics to inform story choices and shape beat strategies.
- Identify top news stories of the day, based on analytics and audience potential.
- Write breaking news stories, enterprise and trending stories and traditional long-form features.
- Produce and/or write multimedia content that appeals to key audience targets and maximizes user experience on digital and social platforms to reach readers where they spend their time and attention.
- Provide cogent analysis of trends and issues that affect the daily lives of readers.
- Work closely with graphic, photo and video teams to optimize and produce content.
- Appear in videos, Facebook/Instagram livestreams and podcasts.
- Engage with readers through various social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Reddit.
- Demonstrate strong news judgment informed by real-world experience.
- Bachelor's or master's in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 1 years' reporting/newsroom experience.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- A desire to grow and develop a key beat in our newsrooms.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer drug screen and background check.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume - one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top