The Accountant is responsible for completing timely, efficiently, and accurately general accounting tasks related to the business units within the hub and ensuring compliance with organizational and governmental policies and procedures. The Accountant services the Regional Financial Supervisor and business units as needed. The Accountant will be involved in preparation and recording of asset, liability, revenue, and expenses entries; maintenance and balancing of subsidiary accounts by verifying, allocating, and posting reconciling transactions and resolving discrepancies. Assist with forecasting and budgeting business unit expenses. General accounting duties including but not limited to: production accounting, AP, AR, payroll, cash receipts, etc. Accuracy, timeliness and strong customer service skills are requirements for success. Liaison to shared service centers.
- Develops relationships and provides support to the Regional Financial Supervisor, Regional Financial Manager and Senior Accountants at the hubs
- Participates in month end closing process that includes:
- Records asset, liability, revenue, and expense entries by compiling and analyzing
- Maintains and balances subsidiary accounts to the general ledger by verifying,
allocating, posting, reconciling transactions; resolving discrepancies.
- Assists the financial analysis team with expense forecasting and budgeting.
- Assists in the participation of updating the SOX database and other security/internal
control documents. Active participation during internal audits.
- Develops and maintains a relationship with shared service centers relating to account
reconciliations, journal entries, accounts payable, billing and cash receipts, credit and collections.
- Performs/maintains duties that could involve AR, cash receipts, GPS Portal, inventory, music licensing, log reconciliation, circulation/advertising adjustments, etc.
- Acts as lead and provides prompt solutions to all accounts payable and payroll inquiries
- Solves business problems, investigates and seeks out cost savings opportunities for the organization.
- Fulfills group/divisional requests for the Regional Financial Manager and Regional Financial Supervisor.
- Provides and maintains excellent customer service to hub management and site staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Business unit satisfaction
- Regional Financial Supervisor, Regional Financial
Manager, and Regional Finance Director satisfaction
- Fulfillment of site, division and group requests
- On time and accurate handling of tasks
- Operational knowledge
- GAAP/Sarbanes Oxley knowledge
- Strong general accounting skills
- Passion for results
- Customer/client orientation
- Strong communication at all levels
- Support multiple business units simultaneously
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Business degree (BS or MBA) with 2+ years of general accounting experience or comparable work experience
- Ability to understand big picture and relationships between expenses and revenues
- Demonstrated customer service
- Strong organizational and problem solving skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to work with internal and external stakeholders
- Experience in a consolidated financial environment
- Knowledge of Lawson, BPC, EDMS (publishing), Wide Orbit (broadcast)
Meet Some of USA TODAY NETWORK's Employees
Steven serves as a point person of contact with businesses in local markets. He works with partner organizations to determine how USA TODAY can help them be successful.
Back to top