The Accountant is responsible for completing timely, efficiently, and accurately general accounting tasks related to the business units within the hub and ensuring compliance with organizational and governmental policies and procedures. The Accountant services the Regional Finance Supervisor and business units as needed. The accountant will be involved in preparation and recording of asset, liability, revenue, and expenses entries; maintenance and balancing of subsidiary accounts by verifying, allocating, and posting reconciling transactions and resolving discrepancies. May assist with forecasting and budgeting business unit expenses. General accounting duties including but not limited to production accounting, AP, AR, payroll, cash receipts, etc. Accuracy, timeliness and strong customer service skills are requirements for success. Liaison to shared service centers.
- Develops relationships and provides support to the Regional Financial Supervisor, Regional Financial Manager and senior accountants at the hubs
- Participates in month end closing process that includes:
- Records asset, liability, revenue, and expense entries by compiling and analyzing account information.
- Maintains and balances subsidiary accounts to the general ledger by verifying, allocating, posting, reconciling transactions; resolving discrepancies.
- Assists the financial analysis team with expense forecasting and budgeting when needed.
- Active participation during internal audits.
- Develops and maintains a relationship with shared service centers relating to account reconciliations, journal entries, accounts payable, billing and cash receipts, credit and collections.
- Performs/maintains duties that could involve payroll, AP, AR, cash receipts, GPS Portal, inventory, music licensing, log reconciliation, circulation/advertising adjustments, etc.
- Fulfills group/divisional requests for the Regional Financial Manager and Regional Financial Supervisor.
- Provides and maintains excellent customer service to hub management and site staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Business degree (BS or MBA) with 2+ years of general accounting experience or comparable work experience
- Demonstrated customer service
- Strong organizational and problem solving skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to work with internal and external stakeholders
- Experience in a consolidated financial environment
- Knowledge of Lawson, BPC, EDMS (publishing), Brio, etc.
Meet Some of USA TODAY NETWORK's Employees
Project Manager, People Division
Jade helps streamline operations while keeping tabs on company culture. Her role goes beyond transactional tasks and includes social engagement and Human Resources communication.
Back to top