Upwork ($UPWK) is the leading tech solution for companies looking to hire the best talent, maintain flexibility, and get more done. We’re passionate about our mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere. Top companies connecting with extraordinary talent around the globe? Upwork is how.
Are you a B2B communications leader looking for a company with a great mission where you can make a significant impact? Then you’ve come to the right place. Upwork is the world’s leading online talent solution, and our mission is to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. We’re already making a big impact: each year $1.7 billion of work happens through Upwork.
We’re looking for an outstanding VP, Communications to lead our strategic communications function. This is the perfect opportunity for a strategic, creative and innovative leader who is willing to take calculated risks, be bold and explore new ways and approaches to achieve our goals. This role works closely with our CEO and executive team, and leads a team of talented communications, media relations, internal comms and social media professionals.
Responsibilities will include:
- Develop and lead our overall communications strategy, inclusive of public relations, media relations, crisis communications, internal communications and social media/community functions
- Develop and advance the strategy and voice for CEO and executive communications, including speaking engagements, media interviews, media preparation and internal communications
- Develop our corporate narrative and messaging pillars - and activate this throughout our communications programs
- Lead a robust media relations function, with a focus on delivering exceptional results that effectively position Upwork
- Develop and maintain excellent relationships with journalists and influencers
- Lead, develop and expand our economist media platform
- Lead crisis communications efforts
- Build, train and retain an exceptional team of communications professionals
- Develop and lead our spokesperson program, including training and media prep
- Align our communications strategy with business strategy
- Collaborate cross-functionally across the organization to deliver on our communications strategy
- Manage our agency partner relationship
- Be a problem solver for day to day communications needs
What it takes to catch our eye:
- 15+ years of experience in B2B communications or PR with a public company
- 10+ years of people leadership, with the demonstrated ability to recruit, develop and retain top talent
- Proven track record for developing B2B communications strategy that deliver business results
- History of working closely with executives and a deep understanding of the business
- Media results that spotlight your ability to deliver outstanding media coverage
- Exceptional writer and dynamic speaker
- Ability to create compelling, data-driven stories and campaigns that showcase trends, impacts and customer success
- Experience in developing and implementing new communications/positioning strategies
- A persuasive influencer who has the ability to build consensus and momentum
- Entrepreneurial-minded, business-savvy leader
- Extensive experience working with media, including top-tier national, regional, financial, and trade outlets
How to really knock our socks off:
- Staffing/talent industry or two-sided marketplace experience
- A leader who creates a culture of both excellence and engagement
- Proven track record of attracting and developing high potential communications talent
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. Whether you’re working from our offices in San Francisco, Santa Clara, and Chicago or are part of our globally distributed team, we’re working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals. Our vibrant culture is built on a common mission and shared values. As we create economic opportunities so that people have better lives, our employees build amazing teams, put our community first and have a bias towards action. We encourage team Upwork to bring their whole selves to work through learning and development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. All that and amazing benefits too? We’ve got you covered (especially with our company favorite, Work Online Wednesdays). Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Back to top