Technical Lead, Data Pipeline Engineering
Technical Lead, Data Pipeline Engineering
Upwork is the world's largest freelancing website. Each year over $1 billion of work happens through Upwork, helping businesses get more done and freelancers work anytime, anywhere on projects they love. At Upwork you'll help build on this momentum. Together we'll create economic and social value on a global scale, providing a trusted online workplace for professionals to connect, collaborate and succeed.
Upwork is looking for a leader leading our data pipeline team to scale and build our next generation data collection infrastructure and capabilities. If you've ever desired to lead a platform team that process transactions at 10 digit scale from ground up for the future of work, this job is for you.
We are a two-sides, on-demand platform company relying heavily on open source technologies. As the Technical Lead, you will partner with Technical Product Managers, Product Development Engineers, Data Scientists, and Business Intelligence community to establish the vision and turn that vision into reality.
- Develop data pipeline engineering roadmap for Upwork's data infrastructure and management platform including event logging, data streaming, batch ETL processes in data warehouse.
- Partner with user interface engineering team defining standards set of web analytic data collection APIs and methodologies.
- Gather and process raw data at scale including writing scripts, web scraping, calling APIs, write SQL queries, etc.
- Work with product engineering team to integrate the data collection instrumentation and real-time data stream processing into our the production systems.
- Process unstructured data into a form suitable for analysis.
- Define and execute integration with various cloud-based web analytics vendors such as Google Analytics, Site Catalyst, etc.
- Evaluate 3rd party and open source data processing and management technologies.
- Support business decisions with ad hoc analysis as needed.
- Technical leadership experience leading an engineering team of 3+ in a medium-to-large size internet company.
- Experience in open source SQL and non-SQL databases like Postgres, MongoDB, DynamoDB, etc.
- Programming experience in Java, Python, or Ruby, ideally as full-stack engineer that enables you to collaborate with product development engineers and understand the nuances of data collection and data pipeline issues & solutions.
- Data architecture experience building cloud-base or on-premise data infrastructure management platform with big data technologies like Hadoop and spark, real-time data streaming service like AWS Kinesis, Kafka, ZooKeeper, and AWS data pipeline, EMR, and other data replication technologies.
- System integration and programming experience building and maintaining a web analytics tracking system.
- Experience processing large amounts of structured and unstructured data.
- Hands on SQL and analytic (Google Analytics, Domo, etc) experience to support our data science and business analytics communities.
- Experience integrating cloud-based data pipeline and analytics services such as AWS Kinesis, AWS data pipeline, EMR, Google Tag Management, Google Analytics, etc.
- Strong analytical mindset and collaborative personality.
- Working knowledge in data mining, machine learning, natural language processing, or information retrieval is a plus.
We are an equal opportunity employer. At Upwork you'll make a real difference in the world, rolling up your sleeves to help reinvent how the world works. As a major player in one of the most exciting and fastest growing on-demand talent marketplaces, you'll join a team that's leading the charge in online work that empower businesses and freelancers alike. In short, you'll change lives, which will do wonders for your career, self-esteem and karma.
Along the way you'll enjoy a bona-fide work-life balance. We practice what we preach, with all of the perks you expect from technology leaders in the Valley - free breakfast and lunch, happy hours, team outings and the like. Plus every Wednesday is a work from home day for many teams, although our main offices in Mountain View, San Francisco, Chicago, and Oslo are warm and inviting. Naturally you'll also draw a nice paycheck and enjoy some meaty benefits. So join us as to change the future of work.
Meet Some of Upwork's Employees
Sr. Director, Conversion Marketing
Katrina works with the the ten million freelancers on Upwork’s platform. She works hard to understand their needs and to drive the organization in the right direction to help them succeed.
Back to top