Upwork is the world's largest freelancing website. Each year $1.5 billion of work happens through Upwork, allowing businesses to get more done and helping professionals break free of traditional time and place boundaries and work anytime, anywhere on projects they love. At Upwork, you'll help build on this momentum. Together, we'll create economic and social value on a global scale, providing a trusted online workplace for businesses to connect with extraordinary talent and work without limits.
Are you an experienced Software Engineer who is up to the challenge of building amazing and rich interactive web applications that will be used by millions of freelancers and their clients around the world every day? Do you relish solving seemingly impossible problems? Do you have a passion for creating and implementing elegant user experiences that delight your users? If so, we’d love to hear from you.
Upwork is looking for a passionate, dedicated, and creative engineer to design and develop innovative solutions that help improve the platform for clients and freelancers alike. As a global company, we have some interesting challenges from an engineering perspective. Improving the performance and resilience of our pages over high-latency/low-bandwidth network connections and building applications that seamlessly support a wide variety of screens and devices are just a couple of our main focus areas.
- Work in a peer-reviewed, agile environment, with other engineers, product managers and designers to build amazing features for our users.
- Propose and evangelize best practices in web standards and performance.
- Help represent the engineering team in conversations with product managers and designers to craft the best user experiences.
- Passionately share your knowledge with other team members.
- Establish architectural principles, select design patterns, and mentor junior team members.
- Produce high-quality software that is unit tested, code reviewed and checked in regularly for continuous integration and deployment.
What it takes to catch our eye:
- 4+ years of client side web frameworks, such as Angular.js, React, Vue.js, etc. You’re not tied to any given framework because you know they have different use cases.
- Solid understanding of OOP, functional paradigms, and the native DOM manipulation API.
- Knowledge of PHP or other server-side languages.
- Solid understanding of web standards and protocols, as well as server-side performance tweaks and tools.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Our teams are widely distributed, and you will be required to communicate with technical and non-technical audiences across different cultures.
How to really knock our socks off:
- Experience building progressive web applications.
- Experience developing native or hybrid mobile apps.
- Strong focus on the customer and the business, coupled with a burning desire to learn, respond to feedback and grow. We’re looking for people who thrive on learning new technologies and don’t believe in one-size-fits-all solutions.
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork you’ll help shape the future of work. From our offices in San Francisco, Mountain View and Chicago, together we’re creating exciting new opportunities for a world of professionals. You’ll be part of a vibrant culture built on shared values: Inspire a boundless future of work, Put our community first, Have a bias towards action, and Build amazing teams. Along the way you’ll have fun and enjoy the perks of a people-first company: Work from Home Wednesday's, daily breakfast and lunch, regular in-office happy hours, top-notch benefits … and more. Check out Upwork’s spotlight on The Muse
for a glimpse of our daily work/life balance.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.