Sr. DevOps Engineer
We are looking for a Sr. DevOps Engineer to join our team. In this position, you will be responsible for driving several new initiatives to enhance and scale our applications in a fast growing SaaS environment. Working with our engineering teams on new micro services that expand our core offering, you will provide deep expertise to help steer scalability and stability improvements early in the lifecycle of development. You will be working closely with Engineering groups and use your experience in programming / scripting to instrument, automate, debug, deploy and orchestrate the product application services.
In addition to this, you will model, test, and identify performance bottlenecks and stability issues, at the application level, in a complex distributed environment. The result will be recommendations and hands-on development of enhancements that will produce greater stability, scalability, and throughput for the application. You will provide input to Development and Ops team members when new architectures, designs, or operational models are being formulated. You will also be responsible for providing technical expertise to other teams as you build specific expertise in the deployment and operational best practices specific to our application. You will also be called on to support the production SaaS environment; in case of issues - identifying the root cause and working with development teams on a resolution.
In this role, you will:
- Second level on call resource for resolving technical emergencies
- Iterative analysis, modeling, testing, profiling of various components of the SaaS application
- Diagnose problems relating to critical services and build automation to prevent problem recurrence; with the goal of automating response to all non-exceptional service conditions.
- Documenting findings and recommendations for improvement during postmortem reviews
- Maintaining and enhancing deployment scripts, tools, and methodologies
- Ensuring efficient and scalable artifact deployments to production servers using automation scripts and other deployment tools
- Working within the engineering team along with developers to build, deploy and lead products to ensure 100% application uptime
To win in this role, you need:
First and foremost, you have strong troubleshooting and problem resolution skills. You work well under pressure and have strong written and verbal communications skills. You pride yourself in being an energetic self-starter who shows personal initiative and have experience working in a rapidly changing environment. You also have:
- Minimum of a combined 7 years of Application Development and Sys Admin experience, including experience at a rapidly growing company
- Mandatory experience with one or more scripting languages: Python, Ruby, or Perl
- Experience with complex SaaS Production or revenue critical web services environments
- Proficient in application performance engineering, testing and tuning
- Strong Experience with Unix/Linux system administration especially in RedHat Linux (CentOS) and Ubuntu
- Experience with Postgres, Redis, HBase, Eureka, memcached, varnish, Apache, Nginx, Haproxy
- Experience with environment configurations at network, OS and application levels
- Experience with environment monitoring in 24/7 web application and SaaS environments
- Strong experience with configuration management/orchestration packages (Chef, Terraform)
- Experience in maintenance of DNS (Bind), LDAP, Postfix, Central Logging (rsyslog) and Monitoring systems (e.g. Icinga, Graphite, Grafana, Prometheus) and other reporting tools
- Availability for occasional on-call after-hours support
- Experience working with AWS environment automation (provisioning, auto scaling, cloud formation, service registry, security groups)
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork you'll make a real difference in the world, rolling up your sleeves to help reinvent how the world works. As a major player in one of the most exciting and fastest growing markets on the planet, you'll join a team that's leading the charge in online work - creating new freedom and opportunity for businesses and freelancers alike. In short, you'll change lives, which will do wonders for your career, self-esteem and karma.
Along the way you'll enjoy a bona-fide work-life balance (we practice what we preach), with all of the perks you expect from a thriving tech leader (think free breakfast and lunch, happy hours, team outings and the like). Plus every Wednesday is a work from home day for many teams, although our main offices in Mountain View, San Francisco and Oslo are warm and inviting. Naturally you'll also draw a nice paycheck and enjoy some meaty benefits. So join us as we work wonders creating the future of work.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Meet Some of Upwork's Employees
Sr. Director, Conversion Marketing
Katrina works with the the ten million freelancers on Upwork’s platform. She works hard to understand their needs and to drive the organization in the right direction to help them succeed.
Back to top