Software Engineering Intern - Front-End Summer 2017
If you are up to the challenge of building new and cutting edge large scale applications used by millions of people around the world on a daily basis to earn a living and improve their lives, we want to hear from you. Upwork’s Engineering team is looking for a passionate, hard-working, and talented Software Engineer Intern to design and develop innovative software solutions that connect clients and freelancers on our platform.
As a Frontend Engineering Intern, you will be working on building a core part of our business application using AngularJS and Symfony2. You will have the opportunity to work with world class product managers, designers and engineers and be responsible for providing a delightful product to our clients in collaboration with them. You will be part of a fast moving distributed team working in three different continents.
In this role, you will:
- Build APIs that serve responsive UIs using the latest and greatest technologies.
- Be responsible for the architecture and design of your own application (with support from another member of the team).
- Ensure that these services meet high standards for optimal user experience and responsiveness.
- Work on some older (Zend Framework) and many current & exciting technologies (AngularJS, CSS3, HTML5, AWS Opsworks, Symfony2 etc.)
- Work with the QA and DevOps teams to ensure smooth deployments and quick (and automated) rollbacks.
- Collaborate with a world class team of engineers, product managers and designers.
To win in this role, you need:
- Be able to communicate and work with a globally distributed team.
- Understand web applications and how they can fail gracefully.
- Strong CS theory skills. While we use frameworks, you should be able to code without one.
- Good test-writing skills and clean code. All code is peer-reviewed.
- Some PHP experience.
- REST experience. You'll be building a front-end that talks to a REST backend API.
- Good grasp of HTML/HTML5 and CSS/CSS3.
- A desire to learn new technologies and build your professional skills library.
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork you’ll make a real difference in the world, rolling up your sleeves to help reinvent how the world works. As a major player in one of the most exciting and fastest growing markets on the planet, you’ll join a team that’s leading the charge in online work – creating new freedom and opportunity for businesses and freelancers alike. In short, you’ll change lives, which will do wonders for your career, self-esteem and karma.
Along the way you’ll enjoy a bona-fide work-life balance (we practice what we preach), with all of the perks you expect from a thriving tech leader (think free breakfast and lunch, happy hours, team outings and the like). Plus every Wednesday is a work from home day for many teams, although our main offices in Mountain View, San Francisco and Oslo are warm and inviting. Naturally you’ll also draw a nice paycheck and enjoy some meaty benefits. So join us as we work wonders creating the future of work.
Back to top