Software Engineer Manager - Front End
Do you have a passion for creating and coding elegant user experiences that will delight users? Do you have the expertise to create amazing and rich interactive web applications for millions of users? Then Upwork, the world’s largest online workplace, is looking for you. With the leading online work marketplace, we serve over 5 million businesses and 12 million freelancers worldwide. We are successfully pioneering a new and better way to work by enabling businesses and freelancers across the globe to connect, work together, and grow their professional success. We are looking for a hands-on engineering manager who has the expertise to create amazing and rich interactive web applications for our millions of users. You will be responsible for leading your team to build out key sites and flows on Upwork.com. You will lead in tackling technically challenging projects with engineers, designers, and product managers.
In this role, you will:
- Be the technical leader for a group of high caliber engineers to build out an amazing web experience for our users.
- Primarily responsible for architecting the application and laying out the technical strategy for how the application will evolve.
- This is a coding manager role, with 20-30% of your time devoted to developing features alongside the team of engineers.
- You must be an excellent team builder and be a mentor to individuals on your team. Help them succeed in the next challenge of their career.
- Be the engineering team’s voice when collaborating with product managers and designers to craft the best product user experiences.
- Drive strategic planning and project execution.
- Hire and build a world class engineering team.
To win in this role, you need:
- 3+ years experience as a manager, lead engineer or architect.
- 5+ years of client side web frameworks, such as Backbone.js, Angular.js, Ext.js, etc. You’re not tied to any given framework because you know they have different use cases.
- 5+ years of PHP, RoR or Python.
- Experience with micro services, CI/CD and AWS.
- Solid understanding of web standards and protocols.
- Solid understanding of impact of front-end performance on user experience and knowledgeable about server-side performance tweaks and tools.
- BS in Engineering, CS and/or equivalent industry experience.
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork you’ll make a real difference in the world, rolling up your sleeves to help reinvent how the world works. As a major player in one of the most exciting and fastest growing markets on the planet, you’ll join a team that’s leading the charge in online work – creating new freedom and opportunity for businesses and freelancers alike. In short, you’ll change lives, which will do wonders for your career, self-esteem and karma.
Along the way you’ll enjoy a bona-fide work-life balance (we practice what we preach), with all of the perks you expect from a thriving tech leader (think free breakfast and lunch, happy hours, team outings and the like). Plus every Wednesday is a work from home day for many teams, although our main offices in Mountain View, San Francisco and Oslo are warm and inviting. Naturally you’ll also draw a nice paycheck and enjoy some meaty benefits. So join us as we work wonders creating the future of work.
Back to top