Senior Security Engineer
Senior Security Engineer
Upwork is the world's largest freelancing website. Each year over $1 billion of work happens through Upwork, helping businesses get more done and freelancers work anytime, anywhere on projects they love. At Upwork you'll help build on this momentum. Together we'll create economic and social value on a global scale, providing a trusted online workplace for professionals to connect, collaborate and succeed.
We are looking for a smart, creative, and passionate Security Engineer to help continue improving our information security posture at Upwork. The engineer will work closely with TechOps, IT, Engineering and Information Security teams to ensure that new and existing technical solutions are implemented in a manner that ensures that Upwork Customer and Employee Data and Intellectual Property remains secure.
If you are highly motivated, a self starter and aspire to make big contributions, then we urge you to apply.
- Identify and implement tools and technologies, continuously improving Upwork's security posture
- Design, implement and manage security tools and systems (IDS, IPS, VPN, DLP, Anti-Virus, Anti-Malware, honeypots, SEIM, Vulnerability Scanners, Web Proxies, Forensic toolkits, MFA, key management) in a heterogeneous computing environment that spans multiple physical and virtual data centers.
- Perform security reviews of server / network / web application design to ensure compliance with security policies and the best security practices.
- Perform assessments, vulnerability management, penetration testing and patch management for Unix/Linux, Mac, Windows systems and web applications. Partner with DevOps and Software Engineering to actively identify and fix security flaws and vulnerabilities.
- Endpoint, identity and access management across Upwork's rapidly growing number of systems and applications.
What it takes to catch our eye:
- B.S. Computer Science/Engineering or similar technical degree program
- CISSP, SANS GCIH or GCFA, CISA, CISM, EnCER certification(s) are preferred but not required
- 3-5 years of IT engineering experience within networking, system administration, or database administration
How to really knock our socks off:
- Minimum four years experience in Information Security with experience in vulnerability management, pen testing, network security or application security
- A pragmatic outlook that understands security problems as a balance of security and business requirements- Experience with multiple OS platforms, to include Linux, Unix, Apple and Windows
- Operational information security experience working in an enterprise environment (geographically distributed, and with a large numbers of employees) preferred
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork you'll help shape the future of work. From our offices in San Francisco, Mountain View and Chicago, together we're creating exciting new opportunities for a world of professionals. You'll be part of a vibrant culture built on shared values: Inspire a boundless future of work, Put our community first, Have a bias towards action, and Build amazing teams. Along the way you'll have fun and enjoy the perks of a people-first company: Work from Home Wednesdays, daily breakfasts and lunch, regular in-office happy hours, top-notch benefits and more. Check out Upwork's spotlight on The Muse for a glimpse of our daily work/life balance.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Meet Some of Upwork's Employees
Sr. Director, Conversion Marketing
Katrina works with the the ten million freelancers on Upwork’s platform. She works hard to understand their needs and to drive the organization in the right direction to help them succeed.
Back to top