Senior Engineering Manager - Search
Upwork is the world's top freelancing website. Each year over $1 billion of work happens through Upwork, helping businesses get more done and freelancers work anytime, anywhere on projects they love. At Upwork you'll help build on this momentum. Together we'll create economic and social value on a global scale, providing a trusted online workplace for professionals to connect, collaborate and succeed.
Are you an experienced Engineering Manager who is up to the challenge of up-leveling a Search infrastructure that is core to the professional lives of millions of freelancers and clients around the world? Do you relish solving seemingly impossible problems? Do you love identifying potential scalability issues, implementing engineering best practices, and coming up with creative solutions to both technical and organizational challenges? If so, we'd love to hear from you.
Upwork is looking for a passionate, hard-working, and talented technical leader to architect and oversee the development of innovative solutions that help freelancers and clients on Upwork find the opportunities or hires that best fit their needs. Search is a core part of our value proposition, making this a role with significant business impact.
Improving the performance and relevancy of our search algorithms across large and complex data sets, getting near real-time data for our search models, implementing self-healing protocols to handle failure scenarios, and overhauling our delivery infrastructure, are just a couple of the areas where we have significant room for improvement. As a manager on our team, you will come to work every day knowing that your contributions will make a major difference for users who depend on the product that you deliver in order to make a living.
- Be at the forefront of an effort to modernize and expand the search capabilities used by millions every day to find freelancers, jobs, or relevant conversations exchanged on our collaboration platform. You will be working on three different search products, each with its own opportunities and challenges.
- Establish architectural principles, identify cutting-edge technologies and patterns to leverage, and increase the talent density of the team.
- Work closely with our Data Science team to apply Machine Learning models to improve the relevancy and ranking of search results.
- Drive a high standard of excellence for web service scalability and availability.
- Be in charge of the team's technical strategy and execution.
What it takes to catch our eye:
- 6+ years of development experience, 3+ years of Java experience, and 2+ years of building and managing high-performing distributed engineering teams.
- Experience in designing and developing a scalable, well-tuned, and highly available search infrastructure.
- Strong understanding of search, relevancy, and machine learning, coupled with prior experience working with Apache Solr and Elasticsearch.
How to really knock our socks off:
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced, iterative environment and lead the parallel development and delivery of features on multiple related products.
- Strong focus on the customer and the business, coupled with a burning desire to learn, respond to feedback and grow. We're looking for people who thrive on learning new technologies and don't believe in one-size-fits-all solutions.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Our teams are widely distributed, and you will be required to communicate with technical and non-technical audiences across different cultures.
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork you'll help shape the future of work. From our offices in San Francisco, Mountain View and Chicago, together we're creating exciting new opportunities for a world of professionals. You'll be part of a vibrant culture built on shared values: Inspire a boundless future of work, Put our community first, Have a bias towards action, and Build amazing teams. Along the way you'll have fun and enjoy the perks of a people-first company: Work from Home Wednesdays, daily breakfasts and lunch, regular in-office happy hours, top-notch benefits and more. Check out Upwork's spotlight on The Muse for a glimpse of our daily work/life balance.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Meet Some of Upwork's Employees
Sr. Director, Conversion Marketing
Katrina works with the the ten million freelancers on Upwork’s platform. She works hard to understand their needs and to drive the organization in the right direction to help them succeed.
Back to top