Senior Data Engineer
Location: Santa Clara or San Francisco
Upwork ($UPWK) is the world's largest freelancing website. Each year $1.7 billion of work happens through Upwork, allowing businesses to get more done and helping professionals break free of traditional time and place boundaries and work anytime, anywhere on projects they love. At Upwork, you'll help build on this momentum. Together, we'll create economic and social value on a global scale, providing a trusted online workplace for businesses to connect with extraordinary talent and work without limits.
Our Data Management team is tasked with building and supporting the business analytics infrastructure at Upwork that analysts and partners use on a daily basis to make critical business decisions. We are looking for a passionate engineer who has a love of data technologies to empower our teams in leveraging data to drive and measure impact. In this role, you will develop our next generation data infrastructure to support our future business growth.
- Based on Upwork's unique ecosystem and data needs, partner with our architects to research new cloud-based data technologies and conduct PoC to make recommendations suitable for our overall blueprint of data infrastructure
- Develop and maintain our end-to-end data platform, from data acquisition, real-time data stream, to data lake, enterprise data warehouse and front-end data tools and applications.
- Create and evolve a data platform that enables your peer data management engineering teams to create data products that serve both internal business units and external clients and partners to maximize the value generated from our data assets in a user-friendly, self-serve, robust, efficient and scalable way.
- Partner with cross-functional engineering peers to streamline the flow of data in the whole company
- Provide guidance on development and implementation of data quality rules and validation processes, leading engineering excellence initiatives to improve data quality and issue resolution
- 8+ years combined experience in DW/BI and Big Data engineering role in medium and large size companies
- A proven record of building complex data platform from ideation to implementation
- Strong knowledge and experience of the Big Data ecosystem and Cloud-based solutions
- Expert in designing, implementing, and operating efficient, scalable, and reliable data transformation pipelines
- Solid experience in database modeling, architecture, design, and implementation
- Familiar with data visualization tools such as Looker, Domo, or similar
- Experience with marketplace businesses, especially as it pertains to working with large datasets inherent to two-sided marketplaces
- Able to influence, lead, and communicate effectively across engineering teams, business units and other partners to negotiate priority, scope, and design solution
- Excellent oral, written, and presentation skills, including the ability to work in person, virtually, and in a globally-staffed environment
- Fluent and effective in working with a globally distributed team
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of development processes and agile methodologies
At Upwork you'll help shape the future of work. From our offices in San Francisco, Mountain View and Chicago, together we're creating exciting new opportunities for a world of professionals. You'll be part of a vibrant culture built on shared values: Inspire a boundless future of work, Put our community first, Have a bias towards action, and Build amazing teams. Along the way you'll have fun and enjoy the perks of a people-first company: Work from Home Wednesday's, daily breakfast and lunch, regular in-office happy hours, top-notch benefits ... and more. Check out Upwork's spotlight on The Muse for a glimpse of our daily work/life balance.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Back to top