Senior Business Intelligence Technical Lead
Upwork is the world's largest freelancing website. Each year $1.5 billion of work happens through Upwork, allowing businesses get more done and helping professionals break free of traditional time and place boundaries and work anytime, anywhere on projects they love. At Upwork, you'll help build on this momentum. Together, we'll create economic and social value on a global scale, providing a trusted online workplace for businesses to connect with extraordinary talent and work without limits.
Our Data Management team is tasked with building and supporting the business analytics infrastructure at Upwork that analysts and partners use on a daily basis to make critical business decisions. In this role, you will develop the strategy for building the next generation of BI tools and practices, own the implementation and management of those tools and processes, define and enforce best practices in our BI reporting portfolio, and oversee data governance within the BI reporting portfolio. You will have an instrumental role in ensuring that our analysts, business partners, and executive team have consistent and reliable data and insights at their fingertips.
- Develop a strategic roadmap for improving our Business Intelligence technologies and processes including BI tools evaluation, integration architecture, etc.
- Own the implementation and management of those tools
- Enforce data governance policies across our portfolio of BI reporting
- Consult with cross-functional stakeholders in upstream data generation and collection procedures in order to ensure compatibility with our downstream tools and processes
- Work with analysts, data engineering product manager, and data engineers to productionalize repeatable reporting processes
- Evangelize and increase adoption of the BI solutions in the user community by demonstrating and continuously training the subject matter experts in the user community
What it takes to catch our eye:
- 5+ years experience in data analytics and/or data engineering in medium and large size companies.
- Hands-on experience with modern Business Intelligence, ETL and data warehousing technologies
- Experience with a broad range of BI tools (Google Analytics, Domo, Looker, Tableau, Power BI, etc.)Expert-level SQL knowledge; experience with PostgreSQL a preference and Hadoop-based SQL environments
- Ability to read and write code including scripting (Shell, Python, Ruby or Perl)
How to really knock our socks off:
- Expertise in working on both sides of the business analysis divide, between data engineers writing scripts and executives looking for business performance insights
- Work with Cloud based solutions and other service based architectures (AWS, REST APIs, etc)
- Experience in architecting and implementing enterprise level integration
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork you’ll help shape the future of work. From our offices in San Francisco, Mountain View and Chicago, together we’re creating exciting new opportunities for a world of professionals. You’ll be part of a vibrant culture built on shared values: Inspire a boundless future of work, Put our community first, Have a bias towards action, and Build amazing teams. Along the way you’ll have fun and enjoy the perks of a people-first company: Work from Home Wednesday's, daily breakfast and lunch, regular in-office happy hours, top-notch benefits … and more. Check out Upwork’s spotlight on The Muse for a glimpse of our daily work/life balance.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Back to top