Principal Analyst, Operations
Upwork is the world's largest freelancing website. Each year $1.5 billion of work happens through Upwork, allowing businesses to get more done and helping professionals break free of traditional time and place boundaries and work anytime, anywhere on projects they love. At Upwork, you'll help build on this momentum. Together, we'll create economic and social value on a global scale, providing a trusted online workplace for businesses to connect with extraordinary talent and work without limits.
Are you motivated to make an impact in a high-growth company? Are you a hands-on entrepreneurial problem solver who loves to drive cross-functional decisions at the intersection of business, finance and operations? Upwork is looking for a Principal Analyst (Senior Analytics Manager), Operations to lead analytics for our Operations business. You will be part of the Analytics team and will work closely with leaders in the Operations organization, which includes talent services focused on business growth, customer support and payments, to enable data-driven decision-making.
- Be a strategic partner to the Operations organization and drive data driven decisions.
- Understand the business needs, define key metrics, establish data best practices, provide comprehensive reporting, measure performance and generate insight.
- Go deep into the business processes and the data to develop hypothesis and conduct analysis to answer business questions.
- Think strategically about how to scale the work that you and the team do - develop tools and automated processes that project the work out to a broader audience.
- Conduct training and mentoring to help people around you improve what they do so that, collectively, we’re better off as a team.
- Work with Engineering, Data Services, and Business Intelligence teams to define infrastructure that will enable larger analytics capabilities.
- Write requirements on data logging and processes for automated reports.
- Manage freelancer talent.
What it takes to catch our eye:
- 5-8 years of work experience as analyst or in an analytical role partnering with senior leaders to translate business questions into analysis projects
- Proven track record of conducting rigorous analyses such as defining experimental frameworks and measuring significance
- Advanced experience with SQL, statistical analysis tools (i.e. R, Stata) a plus
- Experience with data exploration and visualization platforms such as DOMO and Looker
How to really knock our socks off:
- Deep understanding of business models and critical business thinking
- A creative problem-solver who flourishes with challenges, is accustomed to a fast pace and is usually involved in multiple projects
- Passion for high-growth, marketplace business and desire to contribute in an energizing environment
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork you’ll help shape the future of work. From our offices in San Francisco, Mountain View and Chicago, together we’re creating exciting new opportunities for a world of professionals. You’ll be part of a vibrant culture built on shared values: Inspire a boundless future of work, Put our community first, Have a bias towards action, and Build amazing teams. Along the way you’ll have fun and enjoy the perks of a people-first company: Work from Home Wednesday's, daily breakfast and lunch, regular in-office happy hours, top-notch benefits … and more. Check out Upwork’s spotlight on The Muse for a glimpse of our daily work/life balance.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Back to top