Manager, Enterprise Engineering
Upwork is the world’s top freelancing website. Each year over $1 billion of work happens through Upwork, helping businesses get more done and freelancers work anytime, anywhere on projects they love. At Upwork you’ll help build on this momentum. Together we’ll create economic and social value on a global scale, providing a trusted online workplace for professionals to connect, collaborate and succeed.
If you are up to the challenge to build a new and groundbreaking large scale application that could grow into the next generation of Upwork products we would like to hear from you. The Upwork Engineering team is looking for a passionate, hard-working, and talented hands-on coding technical lead to be a member of a core team that will design and develop a new Upwork product in a startup like environment. The success of this product could lead to a rapid career growth for you and tons of learning.
As a Manager, Enterprise Engineering, in our development team you will be responsible for the architecture, development and delivery of web services and UI of a new and exciting initiative. You will work closely with product and design teams to understand the customer needs, decide on the direction and define the roadmap to build a new offering that will change how the world works.
- Define the architecture and development process of a product that has the ability to change Upwork’s business model.
- Get exposed to and investigate new technologies to deliver creative system solutions.
- Be a mentor to a development team that looks up to you to learn best practices and architectural principles.
- Work in a dynamic environment with remote teams located all over the world.
- You take great pride in innovating new products that are used by millions of users.
What it takes to catch our eye:
- Experience crafting high performance, scalable and available web services (predominantly REST architecture) using Java/J2EE.
- Integration skill with AWS platform. MUST
- Experience with continuous integration and/or continuous delivery tools and flows. MUST
- Well experienced in executing functional and integration tests. MUST
How to really knock our socks off:
- Experience in using build tools and source code repository tools such as: Git, Pull Requests, Jira, Stash. NICE
- Demonstrated skill in PostgreSQL
- Experienced in the usage of PHP frameworks such as Symfony, Zend, Yii.
- 5+ years software development experience.
- BS in Computer Science or related degree required. MS preferred. Equivalent work experience accepted.
- Knowledge of object-oriented design and design patterns, and programming skills.
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork you’ll help shape the future of work. From our offices in San Francisco, Mountain View and Chicago, together we’re creating exciting new opportunities for a world of professionals. You’ll be part of a vibrant culture built on shared values: Inspire a boundless future of work, Put our community first, Have a bias towards action, and Build amazing teams. Along the way you’ll have fun and enjoy the perks of a people-first company: Work from Home Wednesdays, daily breakfasts and lunch, regular in-office happy hours, top-notch benefits and more. Check out Upwork’s spotlight on The Muse for a glimpse of our daily work/life balance.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Meet Some of Upwork's Employees
Director, Freelancer Success
Katrina works with the the ten million freelancers on Upwork’s platform. She works hard to understand their needs and to drive the organization in the right direction to help them succeed.
Back to top