Lead UX Researcher
Lead UX Researcher
We are in the midst of a work revolution - quality work is moving online. And Upwork is where the jobs are going. We're building the infrastructure that capture clients and freelancers' preferences and requirements, matching jobs with the best freelancers available, and maximizing the chance of great outcomes. And that's where you come in.
As a Lead Design Researcher on the team, you will have the opportunity to help define the product user experience that matches clients with world-class talent. You will deeply affect products and features that help millions of users collaborate with distributed teams and manage their Upwork activities 'on the go' through mobile applications.
- Be a core member of the product team, ensuring Design Research helps us meet our strategic business goals. You get to identify and execute on research opportunities.
- Conduct strategic to tactical research - From foundational research to refine our understanding of personas and use cases, all the way to concept and usability testing.
- Hire and manage freelance researchers as needed
- Lead and participate in Design Thinking workshops , ensuring teams are ideating with a background in empathy
- Study our diverse global user-base, designing studies to test designs remotely and in different cultural contexts.
- Employ a range of qualitative and quantitative methodologies.
- Communicate insights within the product and engineering teams in a format that inspires action.
How to catch our eye:
- You have over a decade of experience doing Design Research
- You have worked with teams to create useful, research-backed foundational UX documents (e.g Journey Maps, Personas, etc)
- You can visualize research insights in ways that go beyond "bullet points"
What it takes to really knock our socks off:
- You are comfortable leading as well as participating in Design Thinking workshops
- You are always thinking " What should we learn ", ensuring that we answer the "not yet articulated" questions
- You have a story or two about a research method that went beyond interviews and usability testing to creatively answer a question
- You have a story or two about how design research can fail
- You are an influencer, not an executor.
About Our Team:
- Our executive leaders believe in the value that design thinking can bring to a data driven culture.
- We have one of the best researcher to designer ratios in the industry (1:4)
- We thrive on self-starters, there is no micro-management around here
- We are distributed. Most meetings will have at-least one person who is remote, and we value strong communication skills.
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork you'll help shape the future of work. From our offices in San Francisco, Mountain View and Chicago, together we're creating exciting new opportunities for a world of professionals. You'll be part of a vibrant culture built on shared values: Inspire a boundless future of work, Build amazing teams, Put community first and, Bias towards action. Along the way you'll have fun and enjoy the perks of a people-first company: Work from Home Wednesdays, daily breakfasts and lunch, regular in-office happy hours, top-notch benefits and more. Check out Upwork's spotlight on The Muse for a glimpse of our daily work/life balance.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Meet Some of Upwork's Employees
Sr. Director, Conversion Marketing
Katrina works with the the ten million freelancers on Upwork’s platform. She works hard to understand their needs and to drive the organization in the right direction to help them succeed.
Back to top