Upwork is the world's largest freelancing website. Each year $1.5 billion of work happens through Upwork, allowing businesses to get more done and helping professionals break free of traditional time and place boundaries and work anytime, anywhere on projects they love. At Upwork, you'll help build on this momentum. Together, we'll create economic and social value on a global scale, providing a trusted online workplace for businesses to connect with extraordinary talent and work without limits.
The Trust and Safety team's mission is to make Upwork the world’s most trusted marketplace to get work done. We are looking for a high performing professional to manage the Analytics and Detection team. As a Director, Trust & Safety Analytics, you will be responsible for quantifying and driving insights into business opportunities, tracking live experiments, and building out our detection platform. You will mentor and provide direction to a team of analysts and managers to grow their careers and drive impact to the business. You will also play a meaningful role working with Operations, Policy, Product, Engineering, Data Science, Marketing, and Customer Support to tackle a wide range of Fraud, Risk Management, Account Security, and Identity problems.
- Inspiring and leading a team of quantitative analysts and managers
- Finding opportunities to increase trust in the marketplace through data collection, analysis, strategy development, and storytelling
- Stopping all fraudulent and account takeover activity that negatively affects our customers and business
- Handling financial risk for a marketplace with over $1B in payments every year through a combination of detection reports, models, and policies
- Building and running a real-time fraud detection and account linking infrastructure to evaluate behavior patterns and identify anomalies
What it takes to catch our eye:
- At least 10 years of work experience in analytics, data science, risk, trust, fraud, or policy roles with at least five years of people management experience growing the careers of your team members
- Expertise using data analytics tools like SQL, Excel, and PowerPoint and ability to clearly and effectively communicate using your attention to detail and extraordinary analytical skill
- Passion for Upwork and a strong motivation to solve challenging risk problems to protect our customers and our company’s revenue
How to really knock our socks off:
- You lead as well as you support teams
- You are open to creative & out of the box approaches to problem solving
- You have a strong willingness and self-discipline to contribute to and with a small team
- You have experience in handling large scale structured/unstructured data
- You are familiar with how to use predictive analytics and data science to drive business decisions
- You are curious and have a passion to find and solve the root cause of problems
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork you’ll help shape the future of work. From our offices in San Francisco, Mountain View and Chicago, together we’re creating exciting new opportunities for a world of professionals. You’ll be part of a vibrant culture built on shared values: Inspire a boundless future of work, Put our community first, Have a bias towards action, and Build amazing teams. Along the way you’ll have fun and enjoy the perks of a people-first company: Work from Home Wednesday's, daily breakfast and lunch, regular in-office happy hours, top-notch benefits … and more. Check out Upwork’s spotlight on The Muse
for a glimpse of our daily work/life balance.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.