Director of Product Design
Director of Product Design
Upwork is the world's largest freelancing website. Our vision is to connect businesses with great talent to work without limits and our mission is to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. We're already making a big impact: each year $1.5 billion of work happens through Upwork, helping professionals break free of traditional time and place boundaries to find work they can do anytime, anywhere.
As a Director of Product Design on our team, you will have the opportunity to reinvent how companies find, hire and pay freelancers. You will be empowered by a strong design culture to design products and features that help millions of users collaborate with distributed teams.
- Lead design strategy for one of the company's most important initiatives
- Drive design projects consisting of several product features and touchpoints from ideation, research and execution
- Demonstrate high quality design practices. This includes participation in all aspects of UX: research, ideation, strategy, interaction design, information architecture and visual design
- Up-to-date on current trends in product and design for work, collaboration, reporting and complex UI interactions
- Create a variety of design assets to communicate your concepts to a broad range of stakeholders and end users; ranging from strategy and experience concepts to detailed design systems and assets
- Collaborate with product, services, engineering and operations partners; produce design solutions, and adapt your designs to emerging constraints
- Multitask and manage multiple small to large projects in a cross-functional environment
- Mentor junior designers on the team; lead small teams of designers when needed
- Be a subject matter expert in the area of UX/UI design for super-user personas
- Establish a fun, supportive, collaborative environment to bring out the best work from your team. You will oversee UX design projects; establish priorities of your team members
What it takes to catch our eye:
- 8+ years of industry experience as a UX designer in a cross-functional UX team, dedicated to the complete UX design and development lifecycle of several successfully launched desktop or mobile applications
- 4+ years of experience designing products for search or categories
- Portfolio is required Please send with application.
How to really knock our socks off:
- Thoughtful balance of product requirements, user needs and growth opportunities to scale product adoption and engagement
- Ability to work seamlessly with product, engineers, operations and customers
- Architect system wide design solutions that satisfy both product and engineering requirements
- Skills and experience in user research, ideation, information architecture and product definition
- Skills and experience in interaction design and visual design
- Demonstrated history of delivering high-quality product experiences for a variety of platforms including desktop, web and mobile
- Strong work ethic with the drive and willingness to go the extra mile
- Deep understanding of the employee persona, enterprise landscape and unlocking adoption and growth within an organization
- An entrepreneurial spirit and creativity that sparks your capacity for building and growing business - we love seeing those side projects and design experiments
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork you'll help shape the future of work. From our offices in San Francisco, Mountain View and Chicago, together we're creating exciting new opportunities for a world of professionals. You'll be part of a vibrant culture built on shared values: Inspire a boundless future of work, Build amazing teams, Put community first and, Bias towards action. Along the way you'll have fun and enjoy the perks of a people-first company: Work from Home Wednesday's, daily breakfasts and lunch, regular in-office happy hours, top-notch benefits and more. Check out Upwork's spotlight on The Muse for a glimpse of our daily work/life balance.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Meet Some of Upwork's Employees
Eric leads the Enterprise Sales Team, overseeing daily operations and partnering with organizations around the world to find independent professionals on the Upwork platform.
Back to top