Director of Internal Communications
Location: Santa Clara or San Francisco
Upwork ($UPWK) is the world's largest freelancing website. Each year $1.7 billion of work happens through Upwork, allowing businesses to get more done and helping professionals break free of traditional time and place boundaries and work anytime, anywhere on projects they love. At Upwork, you'll help build on this momentum. Together, we'll create economic and social value on a global scale, providing a trusted online workplace for businesses to connect with extraordinary talent and work without limits.
As the Director of Internal Communications, you will oversee the company's communications to our internal team of corporate employees as well as our extended freelance team members. This includes development of the strategy and execution of all major internal communications efforts to ensure that the team is effectively informed of and activated against the company's vision and go-to-market strategy in order to help keep our team engaged and performing against our goals.
You will work in close partnership with Upwork's executive leadership team, Communications and HR teams. This role will also serve as a partner across the organization to create alignment among key stakeholders and ensure communications form a cohesive narrative that informs, inspires and motivates the team to achieve or exceed revenue targets. Your efforts will provide the best possible internal story so our team understands what Upwork stands for, our values and our vision as we look ahead and how we will get there. This role is crucial to motivate our team. We're looking for someone with equal parts strategy and executional excellence - a big picture thinker who isn't afraid to roll up his or her sleeves. This role reports to the VP of Communications and Brand and has a dotted line to the SVP of HR.
- Create alignment among executive leadership team around overall company narrative and how to tell it internally
- Ensure that the company's vision, mission, values and go-to-market strategy as well as our goals are understood by our team
- Lead content development for company-wide meetings, including our annual company kickoff and All Hands meetings
- Serve as internal counselor for written employee communications strategy and content
- Contribute to HR programs such as employer brand; recruiting; and diversity, inclusion and belonging
- Provide coaching for internal speakers
- Identify opportunities for better internal communication, including establishing feedback channels
- Spearhead knowledge and communication management initiatives
- Experience working directly with executives on crafting and delivering messages
- 10+ years of substantial cross-functional experience in communications with at least 5+ years with a focus on internal/employee communications
- Proven success at collaborating with and influencing cross-functional partners
- Track record of influencing executive leadership team on high-stakes decisions
- Experience leading through change management at a company-wide level
- Have worked at a public company
- Understand relevant industries such as marketplace businesses, the staffing industry and the freelance economy
- Possess a magnetic personality that will help you serve as an internal spokesperson and culture carrier
At Upwork you'll help shape the future of work. From our offices in San Francisco, Mountain View and Chicago, together we're creating exciting new opportunities for a world of professionals. You'll be part of a vibrant culture built on shared values: Inspire a boundless future of work, Put our community first, Have a bias towards action, and Build amazing teams. Along the way you'll have fun and enjoy the perks of a people-first company: Work from Home Wednesday's, daily breakfast and lunch, regular in-office happy hours, top-notch benefits ... and more. Check out Upwork's spotlight on The Muse for a glimpse of our daily work/life balance.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Back to top