Director of Identity and Freelancer Fraud
Upwork ($UPWK) is the leading tech solution for companies looking to hire the best talent, maintain flexibility, and get more done. We’re passionate about our mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere. Top companies connecting with extraordinary talent around the globe? Upwork is how.
The Payment Risk team is charged with making Upwork the safest place to get work done. We are looking for a quantitatively driven, detail focused and business-savvy person to lead our Identity and Freelancer Fraud strategy and operations.. You’ll play a meaningful role working with Product, Legal and Analytics teams to build programs that help us better understand who our customers are throughout their lifecycle on Upwork to improve marketplace dynamics, enhance trust, reduce fraud, and elevate the Upwork brand.
- Craft and lead execution of a customer centric Identity strategy that ensures every Upwork account accurately represents the person continuously getting work done.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to drive concepts to high impact solutions
- Communicate and report overall status, primary metrics, key issues and solution plans to senior management and executives
- Lead large multi channel operations and investigations teams to consistently meet all operational and accuracy critical metrics
- Manage high visibility cross functional escalations to resolution
What it takes to catch our eye:
- At least 10 years of work experience in a risk, trust, or policy roles
- Success in running complex programs from conception to completion
- Managing and leading large distributed teams
How to really knock our socks off:
- You have proven strategic thinking and cross-functional team influence - Resourcefulness to keep issues top of mind with relevant partners and conviction to make the right decisions
- You have experience running large operations teams with a distributed workforce
- You are willing to roll up your sleeves to ensure deadlines are met and solutions are executed
- You have shown your ability to work in a fast-paced environment and lead priorities across multiple simultaneous projects
- You have a track record of trying and learning new things
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We’re a remote-first organization supported by offices in Santa Clara and Chicago, working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We build amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Back to top