Director, Conversion Rate Optimization (CRO)
Are you fanatical about optimizing websites for conversion? Do you love synthesizing customer insights, analytical rigor and creative design to develop amazing web experiences?
If yes, then Upwork, the world’s largest online workplace, is looking for you. With nearly 5M businesses and more than 12M freelancers in over 180 countries, we're a disruptive force in the global staffing industry and a thought leader in the collaborative economy. We are successfully pioneering a new and better way to work by enabling businesses and freelancers across the globe to connect, work together, and grow their professional success.
As a Director of Conversion Rate Optimization, you will drive conversion and increase customer acquisition growth by creating compelling and highly converting web experiences. In this role you will be responsible for managing the creation and optimization of all of Upwork’s marketing websites. You will drive overall strategy, build effective cross-team collaboration, and manage rapid A/B testing to continuously improve.
You will be reporting to the VP, Marketing and collaborating closely with internal product, creative, analytics and data science teams. You will have 1-2 direct reports with whom you will develop and execute your optimization strategies.
In this role, you will:
- Develop strategies for improving website conversion rates for acquiring new customers
- Understand needs and barriers to conversion for prospect visitors to Upwork websites
- Analyze web metrics and customer activity to identify the highest impact opportunities
- Prioritize and manage website initiatives from stakeholders across the organization
- Continuously run and evaluate results from A/B and multivariate tests to iteratively improve conversion
- Play a leading role in a cross-functional growth team
- Influence a team of web marketers with cross-functional responsibilities for design & development teams dedicated to marketing websites
- Work closely with creative, product management and marketing analytics teams
To win in this role, you need:
- Four year bachelor or equivalent degree
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in web marketing and/or product management with strong bent on improving conversion rates
- Strong analytical abilities and extensive experience with A/B testing. You should be skilled in using customer research and data analysis to create insights and identify improvement opportunities. Proficiency with statistics preferred.
- SQL and Google Analytics experience. BigQuery and Optimizely background a big plus.
- Creativity and assertiveness to provide insight on how test results could be analyzed to positively impact the overall success of the company.
- Ability to present data, findings, and recommendations that are appropriate for senior level management.
- Ability and enthusiasm to manage and develop a team of 1-2 optimization specialists
- Strong ability to work closely with multiple functional groups including senior executives, creative, product management and analytics teams
- A roll-up-your-sleeves work ethic
- An obsession for creating customer experiences that surprise and delight
- An unrelenting scrappiness and attention to detail. Extremely organized, yet flexible working style.
- Good judgment and an absence of ego in your decision-making
- Great sense of humor (our group is genuinely fun)
COME CHANGE HOW THE WORLD WORKS
At Upwork you’ll make a real difference in the world, rolling up your sleeves to help reinvent how the world works. As a major player in one of the most exciting and fastest growing markets on the planet, you’ll join a team that’s leading the charge in online work – creating new freedom and opportunity for businesses and freelancers alike. In short, you’ll change lives, which will do wonders for your career, self-esteem and karma.
Along the way you’ll enjoy a bona-fide work-life balance (we practice what we preach), with all of the perks you expect from a thriving tech leader (think free breakfast and lunch, happy hours, team outings and the like). Plus every Wednesday is a work from home day for many teams, although our main offices in Mountain View and San Francisco are warm and inviting. So join us as we work wonders creating the future of work.
Back to top