Data Scientist Intern - Summer 2017
Upwork is hiring a Data Scientist Intern for Summer 2017 to join our research team! Upwork is the world’s largest online labor marketplace, with hundreds of thousands of jobs posted monthly. We need data scientists to explore, analyze, and leverage our data to build cutting edge data products for our marketplace. The ideal candidate will have a passion for turning data into products, and a keen interest in shaping the future of the global labor market. We are a diverse team, with graduates of Stanford, MIT, and Harvard in fields ranging from computer science and electrical engineering to economics and statistics.
In this role, you will:
- Participate in the development of new data products
- Build machine learning models to improve business metrics
- Analyze data and communicate findings with business owners
- Educational knowledge of machine learning, information retrieval, data mining, statistics, NLP or related field.
- Technical skills (e.g., Java, Hadoop, Pig) and interest in new ones
- Superior ability to analyze and interpret the results of product experiments
- Knowledge of a scripting language such as Python
- Proven experience working with an analysis tool such as R, Matlab, or SAS
- Experience working with large data sets and distributed computing tools a plus (Map/Reduce, Hadoop, Hive, etc.)
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal
- MS degree required. PhD preferred
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork you’ll make a real difference in the world, rolling up your sleeves to help reinvent how the world works. As a major player in one of the most exciting and fastest growing markets on the planet, you’ll join a team that’s leading the charge in online work – creating new freedom and opportunity for businesses and freelancers alike. In short, you’ll change lives, which will do wonders for your career, self-esteem and karma.
Along the way you’ll enjoy a bona-fide work-life balance (we practice what we preach), with all of the perks you expect from a thriving tech leader (think free breakfast and lunch, happy hours, team outings and the like). Plus every Wednesday is a work from home day for many teams, although our main offices in Mountain View, and San Francisco are warm and inviting. Naturally you’ll also draw a nice paycheck and enjoy some meaty benefits. So join us as we work wonders creating the future of work.
Back to top