Customer Success Manager
Upwork is the world's largest freelancing website. Each year over $1 billion of work happens through Upwork, helping businesses get more done and freelancers work anytime, anywhere on projects they love. At Upwork you'll help build on this momentum. Together we'll create economic and social value on a global scale, providing a trusted online workplace for professionals to connect, collaborate and succeed.
As a Customer Success Manager (CSM) with Upwork, you will drive the growth and satisfaction of our premier clients. Whether you are advising clients on best practices, offering category specific ideas or consulting on how to best leverage our platform to achieve business goals -- your goal is build long-term customer relationships and grow hiring activity. Your previous client management experience, ability to understand customer pain points and work cross-functionally to solve problems will bring you success in this role.
This role has enormous growth potential as we build out our overall Customer Success Team and Strategy.
- Act as a trusted advisor to clients to help ensure the best outcome for the current work they are doing on the platform
- Using a consultative approach, identify and execute on new opportunities for clients to expand hiring on the platform (existing categories and/or expanding into new ones)
- Identify high potential leads for our premium offerings and help drive the upsell process
- Respond to changes in client activity, collaborating with a team of recruiters, support and retention specialists to ensure that clients have everything they need to grow their business on Upwork
- Plan and execute outbound client communications and service inbound client requests
- Partner with clients to understand the operational issues they are facing and collaborate with teams internally to resolve them
- A strategic, consulting mindset -- you will need to understand the client's business and strategy so that you can properly align our capabilities to their most important initiatives and priorities.
- Strategic account management and business development orientation -- this experience will help you create account plans, navigate client organizations, and identify new expansion opportunities based on client needs.
- Strong relationship building -- you will need to become the trusted advisor to the client, where at first, there will be no existing relationship. Strong relationships will help you gain access to the people and information we need to grow the account.
- Operational and problem solving experience -- thinking from an operational perspective will help you understand and then identify solutions for the challenges clients are facing. You will need to understand how our internal programs run and look for ways to improve our processes to deliver better experiences.
- A minimum of 4 years of related experience in Strategic Account Management, Customer Success, or Business Development
- Experience and a strong track record in B2B client facing roles, nurturing and expanding client relationships
- Exceptional client service and project management skills
- Experience with Salesforce and collaborative cloud apps (like Google Apps for Business)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
At Upwork you'll help shape the future of work. From our offices in San Francisco, Mountain View and Chicago, together we're creating exciting new opportunities for a world of professionals. You'll be part of a vibrant culture built on shared values: Inspire a boundless future of work, Put our community first, Have a bias towards action, and Build amazing teams. Along the way you'll have fun and enjoy the perks of a people-first company: Work from Home Wednesdays, daily breakfasts and lunch, regular in-office happy hours, top-notch benefits and more. Check out Upwork's spotlight on The Muse for a glimpse of our daily work/life balance.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Meet Some of Upwork's Employees
Sr. Director, Conversion Marketing
Katrina works with the the ten million freelancers on Upwork’s platform. She works hard to understand their needs and to drive the organization in the right direction to help them succeed.
Back to top