Associate Commercial Counsel
Associate Commercial Counsel
Upwork is the world's top freelancing website and clear leader in its space. Each year over $1 billion of work takes place through the Upwork platform, helping businesses get more done and enabling freelancers to work anytime, anywhere on projects they love. At Upwork, we build on this momentum. Together we'll create economic and social value on a global scale, providing a trusted online workplace for professionals to connect, collaborate and succeed.
The award-winning Upwork Legal team is a highly cohesive and communicative team that, among other things, loves to work on ground breaking legal issues, generate creative business solutions to enable the company's continued growth in a compliant manner, enable the new world of remote work for millions of independent professionals and clients globally in over 180 countries, and has a passion for what we do. The Upwork legal team recently won The Recorder's prestigious 2016 Legal Department of the Year (Emerging Companies) award. The team also was recognized by The Financial Times in 2014 as One of Top 25 Most Innovative In-House Legal Teams in North America.
This in-house opportunity is tailor-made for those attorneys who like autonomy and flourish with making an impact. You will join the company's other commercial attorneys in the negotiation, documentation and analysis of technology, licensing, sales, strategic alliance and development agreements with customers of all sizes and will directly collaborate with internal clients ranging from, among others, our Sales, Marketing, HR, Finance and Executive teams. You will also advise business professionals and senior management on various corporate matters -- recommending actions and ensuring compliance with company policies and applicable laws and regulations.
- Partner cross-functionally with Upwork teams to negotiate and document technology transactions of all shapes and sizes
- Continuously improve standard form agreements, legal processes and contract management system
- Possess the flexibility and willingness to work on a broad range of legal matters, including special projects
- You will collaborate with others across the company to continuously helps us expand our segment-leading position
What it takes to catch our eye:
- A minimum of 2 to 4 years of experience with technology transactions relating to the Internet, SaaS, enterprise software and mobile.
- Broad-based experience in drafting and negotiating a variety of agreements.
- Prior in-house experience, especially at a top Internet / SaaS company
How to really knock our socks off:
- Strong oral and written communication skills-an ability to explain complex issues and concepts in straightforward, everyday terms is key.
- Am Law 100 law firm experience preferred
- Domain expertise in IP law (current on privacy, data security, behavioral advertising, product legal and/or open source is a plus)
- Able to demonstrate close collaboration with partners at a company
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork you'll help shape the future of work. From our offices in San Francisco, Mountain View and Chicago, together we're creating exciting new opportunities for a world of professionals. You'll be part of a vibrant culture built on shared values: Inspire a boundless future of work, Put our community first, Have a bias towards action, and Build amazing teams. Along the way you'll have fun and enjoy the perks of a people-first company: Work from Home Wednesday's, daily breakfasts and lunch, regular in-office happy hours, top-notch benefits and more. Check out Upwork's spotlight on The Muse for a glimpse of our daily work/life balance.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Meet Some of Upwork's Employees
Sr. Director, Conversion Marketing
Katrina works with the the ten million freelancers on Upwork’s platform. She works hard to understand their needs and to drive the organization in the right direction to help them succeed.
Back to top