Software Engineer, Platform Team
Do SOAP and REST mean more to you than just personal hygiene? Are you driven by the desire to interact with clients & stakeholders outside of Engineering in order to architect and build the smoothest integrations and tools this side of the Mississippi? If so, you might be the Software Engineer we’re looking for.
Updater is one of the fastest growing tech companies in NYC, and our goal is to streamline the moving process for the millions of households who move each year. Moving is complicated, but it shouldn’t be. That’s why our platform is comprised of a suite of both business and consumer-facing apps.
We’re looking for a Backend Engineer to join our team and build the next generation of our Integrations Platform and Tools. Our Integrations Platform is key to data collection and ingestion at Updater, allowing us to integrate with clients such as real estate brokerages, property management companies, and moving companies. Our new suite of Platform Tools are key to simplifying and accelerating onboarding of new real estate business partners. We're looking for a detail-oriented problem solver who is passionate about technology and providing a great experience for our clients. In this highly visible role, you will work with a talented group of people including Client Success, Product, and of course other amazing teams.
What you’ll do:
- Collaborate daily with Product, internal stakeholders, and other engineers to design and build data pipelines and tools
- Work with our Client Success team to assist with technical onboarding of our clients, including as necessary, SQL queries, writing scripts, and manipulating spreadsheets with the goal of getting clients up and running quickly
- Build tools for our Client Success team so they can quickly onboard new clients
- Engage with internal teams and clients with empathy
- Take responsibility for planning, execution, and quality of business-critical products
- Engage in architecture and infrastructure decisions for the product(s) you own
- Own the QA, operations, and performance of your product and features
What you have:
- Interest in or experience working on back-end applications such as APIs, ETL pipelines, SQL, data management, and reporting tools
- Expertise with at least one programming language (preferably Python)
- Expertise with open source tools
- A solid foundation in computer science and engineering fundamentals from data structures and algorithms, to high-level design patterns, to object-oriented programming
- Excellent systems analytical, problem-solving and technical skills
- A pragmatic approach to engineering. You have opinions about engineering. processes, architecture, design, infrastructure, and tools, but understand there are often multiple valid ways to solve a problem
- You’re intellectually curious, and understand the pros and cons of different tools and technologies
- Product and business sense – You care about the impact of your work on the business and end user and take a proactive approach to working with Product
- An intrinsic drive for excellence and continuous improvement and a strong sense of adventure, excitement, and enthusiasm for technology
- Excellent interpersonal, tact, and communications skills
- BS in Computer Science or related degree
Things We Also Love:
- Experience with Python, SQL, AWS, Docker, and CI / CD is a plus
- Front end experience is a plus
- Agile (Scrum, Kanban, etc.) experience is a plus
- Expertise in Excel and / or Google Spreadsheets
- Willingness to learn the above!
- GitHub, Stack Overflow, OSS contributions are wonderful
Updater makes moving easier for the 17 million households that relocate every year in the US. With Updater, users seamlessly transfer utilities, update accounts and records, forward mail, and much more. Hundreds of the most prominent real estate companies in the US (from real estate brokerages to multifamily and relocation companies) rely on Updater’s real estate products to save clients hours with a branded and personalized Updater moving experience.
Headquartered in New York City, Updater has raised nearly $100 million from leading investors, including SoftBank Capital, IA Ventures, Commerce Ventures, Second Century Ventures (the strategic investment arm of the National Association of Realtors®), and more. Updater was named a top 100 Crain's Best Places to Work in NYC twice and was ranked as the highest rated tech company on the list in 2016. For more information, please visit www.updater.com.
Updater is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Back to top