Senior Software Engineer, Infrastructure/Microservices
Are you a(n event) driven developer? Can you provision an AWS RDS instance using a Pull Request? Can you decipher a CIDR block? Are you comfortable deploying every commit to production, automatically? If you can relate, let's talk. We’re looking for a Senior Software Engineer to span microservices development and infrastructure to join our Microservices team and build the next generation of Updater products. This is a hybrid role that will interface directly with both our DevOps team and the product engineering teams who build and deploy microservices.
Updater is one of the fastest growing tech companies in NYC, and our goal is to streamline the moving process for the millions of households who move each year. Moving is complicated, but it shouldn’t be. That’s why our platform is comprised of a suite of both business and consumer-facing apps: from a mover’s dashboard, to a variety of products for real estate companies, to an API and an Integrations Data Platform.
Our microservices are currently written in NodeJS, Python and Go using Docker, run on Terraform provisioned AWS resources, monitored by first class SaaS integrations, and are deployed through an automated and continuous build, test and delivery pipeline. We chose these tools thoughtfully because they were the best choice for our products at the time. However, we’re not dogmatic and evaluate new frameworks and our stack frequently. From architecture discussions to evaluating new tools and building out new features, you’ll have a tremendous impact on the team.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you’ll join the team at Updater and be instrumental in building out the microservices platform, along with the core services themselves that will drive the business forward.
What You'll Be Doing
- Collaborate daily with product, internal stakeholders, and other engineers to design and build microservices to support all aspects of the business
- Pair with senior engineers on R&D projects
- Develop with languages such as Python, Go, Node.js
- Engage in architecture and infrastructure decisions for the services(s) you own
- Collaborate on the planning and execution of business-critical products
- Learn about the QA, operations, and performance of your products
- Attend relevant conferences and share new knowledge with the team
- Build reusable infrastructure templates
- Empower your fellow engineers through tooling, teaching, and teamwork
What We Expect From You
- 3+ years experience building interesting, complex server-side systems
- 3+ years experience building infrastructure, deployment pipelines, or developer tools
- Docker experience is a must
- AWS experience is a must
- CI/CD pipeline experience is a must
- Microservices experience is a plus
- NodeJS, Python or Go experience is a plus
- You’re intellectually curious, and understand the pros and cons of different tools and technologies.
- “Strong opinions, weakly held” - a pragmatic approach to engineering. You have opinions about engineering processes, architecture, infrastructure, and tools, but understand there are often multiple valid ways to solve a problem.
- Product and business sense. You care about the impact of your work on the business and end user and take a proactive approach to working with Product.
Updater makes moving easier for the 17 million households that relocate every year in the US. With Updater, users seamlessly transfer utilities, update accounts and records, forward mail, and much more. Hundreds of the most prominent real estate companies in the US (from real estate brokerages to multifamily and relocation companies) rely on Updater’s real estate products to save clients hours with a branded and personalized Updater moving experience.
Headquartered in New York City, Updater has raised nearly $100 million from leading investors, including SoftBank Capital, IA Ventures, Commerce Ventures, Second Century Ventures (the strategic investment arm of the National Association of Realtors®), and more. Updater ranked #3 on Crain's 2016 Best Places to Work in NYC, ranking as the highest rated tech company on the list. For more information, please visit www.updater.com.
Updater is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Meet Some of Updater's Employees
Gretchen collaborates with Updater’s Engineering, Sales, and Success Teams to create ever-improving product features to streamline the moving process.
Back to top