Senior Product Designer
Are you a passionate product designer who knows product decisions aren’t always #000000 and #FFFFFF? Do you subconsciously count the number of clicks it takes to get to a web page? Does your Univers often revolve around extolling the finer differences between Proxima Nova and Montserrat? Well, then you just might be the Senior Product Designer we’re looking for!
We’re looking for an experienced individual who is excited about making an immediate impact. You’ll be asked to lead design efforts across a myriad of products, affecting more than a million+ movers (people who are moving) a year.
Moving is one of the most universally relatable problems. We’ve all had to move at least once and we all think moving is a painful experience. Updater is solving that pain at scale.
As Senior Product Designer, you’ll have an opportunity to greatly influence how the product works and looks moving forward. You’ll collaborate with world-class startup teams of Product, Engineering, Data, Marketing, and Business in our beautiful office overlooking Union Square. We are looking for someone who knows how to apply the right levels of research for the challenge at hand, who loves crafting beautiful consumer experiences, and is deeply empathetic to users and their challenges with moving. You’ll be an early member of our Product Design team, reporting directly to our President. The ideal candidate is looking for the right opportunity to take on more autonomy and strategic thinking responsibility.
In addition to collaborating with teams across the company, our Data Team is particularly unusual – built out by the former Data Science Lead from Heroku – we surface insights on user behavior way beyond what is normal for a company of any size. It’s a massive advantage, and the right design team member will be incredibly excited about the opportunity to collaborate to segment users in smart ways and craft experiences that not only convert, but also delight.
About the Role
- Ensure best in class design and user experience from beginning to end
- Support and extend Updater’s core design philosophy and principles, and spearhead making those part of every Updater product and experience
- Become an expert in residential moving through user research, hypothesis setting, and smart testing
- Rapidly evolve Updater’s most engaged-with product area to significantly increase user engagement and NPS
- Improve overall quality of design and visual experiences by establishing and rolling out consistent design patterns & experiences across the product
- Build out our (budding) design system
- Partner with Front End Engineering to implement well-crafted experiences that support best practices in accessibility
- Help grow a healthy and happy design team and culture that attracts and retains outstanding product designers
- Empathy: you strive to see the world from our users' point of view in order to anticipate their needs
- Humility: you have an opinion, but aren’t afraid to be proven wrong, and are open to suggestions on how to best utilize design to solve a user need
- Strong Communication: optimism and a forward-looking attitude with a clear, inspiring communication style
- Comfort with Ambiguity: you’re used to being asked open-ended questions and able to clearly communicate a point of view
- Passion: you have your favorite sites, your favorite experiences, and you spend time thinking about how to build B2C software applications
- 4+ years of experience designing software products, with at least 1+ year focused on consumer-facing, mobile-centric experiences
- Strategic design thinker, a collaborator, and a champion of the user
- A passion for user research and user testing, and deep experience analyzing user feedback and behavior
- Proficiency in Figma, Webflow, UserTesting, and Optimizely (or similar)
- Experience working with a Data Team to uncover actionable insights
- An excellent communicator, able to synthesize research in a compelling way to rally the team to solve real user needs
- Ability to understand the brand principles and ensure they are properly represented in the product
Updater makes moving easier for the 17 million households that relocate every year in the US. With Updater, users seamlessly forward mail, transfer utilities, connect TV and internet, and much more. Thousands of the most prominent real estate companies in the US (from real estate brokerages to multifamily and relocation companies) rely on Updater’s real estate products to save clients hours with a branded and personalized Updater moving experience.
Headquartered in New York City, Updater has raised over $100 million from leading investors, including SoftBank Capital, IA Ventures, Commerce Ventures, Second Century Ventures (the strategic investment arm of the National Association of Realtors®), and more. Updater ranked #3 on Crain's 2016 Best Places to Work in NYC, ranking as the highest rated tech company on the list, and ranked #7 in 2018. For more information, please visit www.updater.com.
Updater is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Back to top